Author Topic: Offering my friendly hand to anyone who will take it (at your own risk :P )  (Read 3664 times)

Offline Mr_PPP

• Not said much yet
Hi everyone, im totally new here, my names Phil, 23 and im the recent proud owner of a 90 Mk2 8V GTI which luckily for me comes with power steering, E/Windows and C/locking  so i can be a lazy git  ;D only got 61K on the clock :) oh and it has slight green tint to the windows, was this standard or an optional extra? oh and the previous owner added the alloys, what were the standards on this car? i keep hearing the name BBS mentioned? anyways just saying hello to everyone here, looks like a great site you have here and i hope to speak to anyone who will listen to my jabbering sometime  :D

Offline tobz.

• I live here
Hey Phil welcome to the forum, best get some pics of that motor on here asap (it'll be the first thing everybody asks for!!!). Sounds like you got yourself a decent mk2 there, I'm currently trying to find a real mint mk2 16v (been looking 10 months now) with less than 100k on the clock but they are becoming rarer by the minute  :(
My 89 8v has the green tint glass but as far as I was aware it was still an option on the 8v until the run-out models in 91-92. Standard wheels around 1990 on an 8v could range from steelies to a whole range of alloys offered by vw. BBS cross-spokes are considered by most to be the choice if you are going for the standard look and if you can afford them split-rims are the number one choice.

Hope this helps
Toby

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
V5 Beetle owner. I'm just here for the misfire threads....

redcarboy

The MAD COUNT bids you welcome. ;D

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Welcome from the old git.

Nice looking motor mate.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Hi matey, welcome to the site  :)
......now officially dubless.

Offline Leanne

• Not said much yet
BBS are the boss.

If you look for a new set don't expect a bargain. There are plenty of 2nd hand options on ebay and various forums which maybe need a little TLC.

Splitties and you are looking at ???'s!

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
Or a weekend in a gimp suit somewhere in Soho !!

Either way sounds painful  :-X

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

Offline Tufty

• Not said much yet
welcome along mate. by  the sound of ur car u have got ur hand on a minter.

Tufty

Offline Mr_PPP

• Not said much yet
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone? :) Cheers for the heads up on the tint and the wheels Toby and Leanne, think with my poor sorry state of a bank account sticking with the ones fitted is the best course of action for now :D want to keep this one as standard as possible anyway, not quite a minter although theres no visible rust whatsoever on the bodywork, theres a small dent in one front wing and having done 61k its mostly the original parts, so a few have already started to give problems, main ones being the starter motor giving up first week and now the sump has corroded through but touch wood should be the only problems i have for a while? ;) I need a new job, i have a feeling the minimum wage isnt going to keep me going long with this car? :P
« Last Edit: 08 September 2004, 16:34 by Mr_PPP »