Author Topic: track day pads  (Read 11366 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: track day pads
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2011, 13:40 »
Motul rbf600 is £12 a bottle, its hardly gonna brake the bank

Nice play on words there, very clever.

racing hydraulic fluids should not be used in street cars. This is because, although racing brake fluids have high dry boiling points, most are highly hygroscopic, and have relatively very low wet boiling points. They would probably work extremely well if you were to change the fluid every week or so

from here

Maybe not such a good idea then.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline jonno74

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2011, 17:36 »
Yes it all depends on the type of track use, the style of driving and the weight of the car,

for the odd track day which you drive to, have lots of fun, then drive home I totally agree - racing fluid not ideal.

But for a dedicated track car, which is bled with fresh high boiling point fluid before each track day - then it makes a valuable difference. 

What works best for you is always the optimum set-up!

I'm looking forward to Rockingham on the 5th of Aug, hopefully wont cook the brakes too much :smiley:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2011, 17:38 »
But for a dedicated track car, which is bled with fresh high boiling point fluid before each track day - then it makes a valuable difference. 

Who the f*ck does that?!  :grin:

Offline jonno74

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2011, 18:00 »
 :smiley: it works for me,  - if you want the most amount of time on track (and your pushing hard enough laps to get your brakes up to temperature).

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2011, 19:34 »
Motul rbf600 is £12 a bottle, its hardly gonna brake the bank

Nice play on words there, very clever.

racing hydraulic fluids should not be used in street cars. This is because, although racing brake fluids have high dry boiling points, most are highly hygroscopic, and have relatively very low wet boiling points. They would probably work extremely well if you were to change the fluid every week or so

from here

Maybe not such a good idea then.

Which are highly hygroscopic then?

If your car doesn't need uprated pads or fluid then fine, but thats not the case with the majority of track day cars, who's users can go faster with these items, which at the end of the day is what its about. I like to get my money's worth at trackdays which means staying out for longish periods on open trackday events. Uprated brakes allow this.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #15 on: 19 July 2011, 23:32 »
Well duh, glycol-based fluids, which your Motul one is.

DOT5 and above are silicone-based, so don't absorb moisture but can give a slightly mushy pedal, thus tend not to be used on track cars.

If your car doesn't need uprated pads or fluid then fine, but thats not the case with the majority of track day cars

In my experience it doesn't seem to.  The majority of track day goers seem to enjoy spending money on super-fandango bits and bobs though.  Stuff like Magnecor leads and other such stuff.  OEM is often just as good at the start of its life, and if you use an appropriate service life for the application.  There's a lot of BS around uprated parts, but if they're shiny, or pretty or you can lean on your bonnet and say 'oh ya, I've fitted this super brake fluid and it's like amazing because my lap times have come down by three tenths of a second'.

You could actually stand there and say 'I change my standard brake fluid once a year and it hasn't ever boiled' but that doesn't sound nearly as cool or expensive.

After all, if you boil the super-fandango brake fluid six months after putting it in the system, you can stand there and say 'I went SO fast I boiled my super-fandango brake fluid' when actuallyit boiled because it had hoovered up the moisture while it stood for three months between track days and the now-wet boiling point was lower than the dry boiling point of the straight-outta-Halfords DOT4 5litres for £20 which you might have put in instead.

Anyway, I've got this amazing electric supercharger if anyone's interested..... tuning parts, not remotely full of unnecessary expense and false benefit.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #16 on: 20 July 2011, 06:56 »
Well duh, glycol-based fluids, which your Motul one is.

DOT5 and above are silicone-based, so don't absorb moisture but can give a slightly mushy pedal, thus tend not to be used on track cars.

do you have any quantitive proof instead of another persons opinion on another forum?

In my experience it doesn't seem to.  The majority of track day goers seem to enjoy spending money on super-fandango bits and bobs though.  Stuff like Magnecor leads and other such stuff.  OEM is often just as good at the start of its life, and if you use an appropriate service life for the application.  There's a lot of BS around uprated parts, but if they're shiny, or pretty or you can lean on your bonnet and say 'oh ya, I've fitted this super brake fluid and it's like amazing because my lap times have come down by three tenths of a second'.

You could actually stand there and say 'I change my standard brake fluid once a year and it hasn't ever boiled' but that doesn't sound nearly as cool or expensive.

After all, if you boil the super-fandango brake fluid six months after putting it in the system, you can stand there and say 'I went SO fast I boiled my super-fandango brake fluid' when actuallyit boiled because it had hoovered up the moisture while it stood for three months between track days and the now-wet boiling point was lower than the dry boiling point of the straight-outta-Halfords DOT4 5litres for £20 which you might have put in instead.

Anyway, I've got this amazing electric supercharger if anyone's interested..... tuning parts, not remotely full of unnecessary expense and false benefit.
[/quote]

well thats you all over thomas  :grin: everyone's wrong except you  :grin: jeez even your mate danny p uses uprated pads and i know for a fact you get your rod on over his car knowledge.

So does anyone else on here use standard pads for trackdays out of interest?

you might want to put the electric supercharger on yours, it's obviously not powerful enough for its extra weight if you don't need uprated pads

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #17 on: 20 July 2011, 09:18 »
well thats you all over thomas  :grin: everyone's wrong except you

What's it like having absolutely no sense of humour? Do let me know what it's like feeling you have to buy super fandango things, because it's something I've totally missed the boat on.

i know for a fact you get your rod on over his car knowledge.

For a fact, eh?  What an odd thing to say.  Why is it you have to make everything homoerotic?  I dread to think what you and Nick were doing together last weekend around little two-seater soft-tops then because I know 'for a fact' that 'he gets his rod on' over your car knowledge.  :grin:

do you have any quantitive proof instead of another persons opinion on another forum?

Errrr, it's in the link to the Moss site.  They make and distribute the stuff, so they should know.  :huh:

As I've already pointed out, maybe if you're finding you need super-fandango pads, you should review your driving style on track.  If you analyse your driving style and lines on a track there's often a lot of braking you can do without, reducing the need for all these upgrades.

That said, The Track you use is hard on cars, but then it's only a little sprint track.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #18 on: 20 July 2011, 10:10 »
I don't get imbred humour im afraid.

Fact is you are the only person who does track days without uprated pads, does that not tell you something?

Same with your rubber is better than polyurethane theory and your soft springs are better than coilovers theory. You even trailer your car to events ffs.

Its not about braking less, its about braking harder and later and going faster as a result

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #19 on: 20 July 2011, 17:21 »
Its not about braking less, its about braking harder and later and going faster as a result

I sense you're good with a hammer, but not much else.

And that you often use it on nuts.