Author Topic: Amping door speakers  (Read 2926 times)

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
Re: Amping door speakers
« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2009, 23:21 »
as for confirming the speaker size you may need to tell us what car you have :)

If its a mk3 then the fronts are 6.5's and if its a cabrio then the ones where the rear doors would be are 6.5's too. Not sure about the size of the rears in a non cabrio, or if they even have them.

EDIT: but to confirm what madmax says, there is no point doing the rear speakers at all, spend more money on the fronts, or getting the fronts fitted in better thus improving their performance.

Fitting the front speakers in properly will likely more than treble their output, if you get it right of course.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2009, 23:23 by tommk3cab »

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 13 December 2009, 19:23 »
In in a mk4 mate.

I take it by properly u mean dynamatting?

Just had a go at getting the amp cable through today after looking at many guides, and still can get the buggar through  :cry:
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 13 December 2009, 22:41 »
In in a mk4 mate.

I take it by properly u mean dynamatting?

Just had a go at getting the amp cable through today after looking at many guides, and still can get the buggar through  :cry:

yeah the power cable is a bit of a PITA on mk 4's. behind the glovebox is the best place IIRC. Thats why you want a MK3, there is a huge grommet big enough to fit a drainpipe in on these badboys :)

by properly I mean fitting the speakers to metal of the door, rather than just the door pockets. This gives them a ridged baffle to play from, try installing a speaker in a cardboard box and compare it to a wooden box, you should hear a difference.

Also, I don't know if you have ever taken a doorcard off a car door but the part where the speaker plays into is full of holes from the inner skin back into the doorcard, this means these holes also get to the outside world ( kind of) as the doorcards are not sealed airtight to the door. Sealing these holes up with either some kind of sound deadening or preferably something more solid would also go a long way to increasing the front speakers effectiveness. The idea is to make the door more like a box, which is what you want.

sound deadening the whole door is also a worthwhile step, just be careful not to block up any drain holes in the bottom of the door. There are better/more cost effective methods than dynamat out there.

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 14 December 2009, 17:25 »
Yeah taken a few door cards off and know exactly what you mean, although never really thought creating a 'box' in the door would make that much difference but will definately be trying this when i finally get some time off work  :wink:
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 14 December 2009, 19:52 »
never really thought creating a 'box' in the door would make that much difference

oh it does ;)

have you ever ran a speaker on its own? no box, no door card, nothing?

If you have then you will know what I mean. The (bass)output is next to nothing because ( for one reason, but there is more) the front and back waves from the speaker are not isolated from one another, sealing up the door serves this purpose.

It will be most effective when the speaker is also fitted to the metal of the door though as you will be able to get a good seal, whereas when fitted to the doorcard you can't really. Fitting to the metal of the door also serves another main purpose which I mentioned above.