Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529952 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #500 on: 18 April 2016, 08:49 »
Both cars look amazing  :cool: :cool: :cool: 

Liking the A45 in red with black wheels.  Not seen it in red before.  Looks like it means business!

Purple Haze is fantastic wax.  Interesting what you say about the Nattys.  I’m not keen on their waxes at all.  I’ve tried both the paste and liquid versions (Nattys Blue) before and not impressed with either the finish on black, nor the longevity.  But your  red certainly looks good, be interesting to see how long it lasts on top of the sealant.  I think if I had a red car DoDo Juice Orange Crush would be my first wax.

Great job.  Will have a look at the vid later too.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #501 on: 18 April 2016, 12:09 »
Gave the car a very quick wash today as I'm seriously hungover  :sick:
Thought I'd try something new so instead of drying the car off, I rinsed it using the purified water that I use for window cleaning. Theoretically, it shouldn't leave any water spots but I'll have a look later when it's had a chance to dry.

Hopefully that should leave it water mark free.  I use a Raceglaze water filter hooked up between my outdoor tap and hose. No water marks with that.  Not cheap but best detailing purchase I've ever made. Water mark and therefore, stress free car washing!

I'll have a look at that, sounds good, although the van system's already paid for :smiley:
Early night for me, I feel like death warmed up :cry:

Well if you've already get a water system paid for then great stuff.

I'm impressed you bothered to wash the car at all with a mega hangover.  That's dedication for you.  Sounds like you are paying for it now though.  Bed and sleep should sort you out  :smiley:
Checked the car this morning and no water spots!
Just need to make sure I rinse it that way in future although it won't matter if I dry the car off I suppose :undecided:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #502 on: 18 April 2016, 15:40 »
Gave the car a very quick wash today as I'm seriously hungover  :sick:
Thought I'd try something new so instead of drying the car off, I rinsed it using the purified water that I use for window cleaning. Theoretically, it shouldn't leave any water spots but I'll have a look later when it's had a chance to dry.

Hopefully that should leave it water mark free.  I use a Raceglaze water filter hooked up between my outdoor tap and hose. No water marks with that.  Not cheap but best detailing purchase I've ever made. Water mark and therefore, stress free car washing!

I'll have a look at that, sounds good, although the van system's already paid for :smiley:
Early night for me, I feel like death warmed up :cry:

Well if you've already get a water system paid for then great stuff.

I'm impressed you bothered to wash the car at all with a mega hangover.  That's dedication for you.  Sounds like you are paying for it now though.  Bed and sleep should sort you out  :smiley:
Checked the car this morning and no water spots!
Just need to make sure I rinse it that way in future although it won't matter if I dry the car off I suppose :undecided:

That's really good.  :cool:

No technically you won't need to dry it off but old habits die hard.  :laugh:  I still like to dry mine off with a combo of a air dryer and WoWo drying towels.  Something doesn't feel right about leaving a car to drip dry! One thing you don't have to worry about is those annoying little water drips from the numerous water traps - they shouldn't leave marks so you can just let them drip.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #503 on: 20 April 2016, 17:30 »
As I have mentioned before, I'm not that impressed with the smallest of the wheel woolies so I bought this http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/ez-detail-brush-mini/prod_581.html to supplement the larger wheel woolies.
It's far superior in my opinion and makes the two smallest woolies redundant for wheel cleaning duties.
I will use them for tailpipe and grill duties from now on :smiley:
Also used auto finesse iron remover for the first time on the wife's alloys. It's a cracking product and worth every penny :smiley:
« Last Edit: 20 April 2016, 17:33 by kalimon »
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #504 on: 20 April 2016, 18:35 »
As I have mentioned before, I'm not that impressed with the smallest of the wheel woolies so I bought this http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/ez-detail-brush-mini/prod_581.html to supplement the larger wheel woolies.
It's far superior in my opinion and makes the two smallest woolies redundant for wheel cleaning duties.
I will use them for tailpipe and grill duties from now on :smiley:
Also used auto finesse iron remover for the first time on the wife's alloys. It's a cracking product and worth every penny :smiley:

Yes I only use the big one as well. It fits in-between the spokes of the nogaros perfectly and also in-between the wheel rim and calipers. Cant find a use for the medium one at all and the small one is good for doing the grill. In my case i don't feel like I need a different brush though as I do the inside of the wheel with the big woolie and the front face with the wo-wo wheel mit.

I've not really laid much attention to my tail pipes yet so as you say the medium woolie may be of use there
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #505 on: 20 April 2016, 18:49 »
I think it depends on your alloys.  The small wheel woolie is perfect for the groove on Pretorias, where it dissapears behind the spokes.  The Pretorias are the first alloy I've had where every size of the wheel woolies has a use, but mainly the large and small ones.

I used to have the larger EZ wheel brush but never liked it and in fact just given it to a member on another forum.

The medium wheel woolie is perfect for tailpipes.  I've used mine for tailpipe for last 3 years and they shift a lot of dirt.  I also use then on the lower front bumper, rear diffuser and the number plates too. 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Walts

• Not said much yet
« Reply #506 on: 20 April 2016, 20:16 »
Well today I decide to make the most of the sun and give the car a clean it deserves.

I'm a little (Mrs says a lot) OCD with my cars but I do see them as my only real sin, I don't drink or smoke and work tends to get in the way of a lot of other good stuff.

Well today the car had the following.....
Wheels cleaned first with the following process....... snow foamed, rinsed, cleaned with dodo juice born to be mild shampoo and then deep cleaned with billberry via wheel woolies and an alloy wash mitt.
Wheels rinsed again and then the car..........

The full car was snow foamed and whilst that rested i filled up two buckets with some more dodo juice born to mild.
The car was then rinsed and then washed with my new wowo wash mitt (very nice indeed).  As the cars dark I tend to clean the upper all around and then move on to the lower panels working my way round the car evenly.

One cleaned the i then rinsed the car with the power washer to get into all the obvious places, once that's done out comes the raceglaze water filter for the final rinse to prevent water drops drying and me rushing around like a fool.

I know I don't have to dry the car but still feel the need, I use a metro mini to do the alloys and then two drying towels to pat the car down as needed.

Now usually that's the weekly cycle done but today the car needed some tlc.  As I live by the coast it appears the seagulls have taken an opportunity whilst I wasn't about to dance on the bonnet and the roof. 

Outcomes the DA machine at this point, I started with a light pad and some angle glaze cleanser which worked to great effect, once the offeding eye sores were taken care of all the surfaces were then protected with dodo purple haze pro (new product to me but I really liked it).

Finally the glass was gleaned with autoglym glass polish, the tyres dresses with chemicals guys tyres dressing and the alloys themself treated to chemical guys alloy polish.

Overall not a Bad days work and the car that's 2years and 4 months old certainly doesn't look her age.........

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #507 on: 20 April 2016, 21:23 »
Wow Walts, beautiful job, great reflections!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #508 on: 20 April 2016, 21:25 »
I think it depends on your alloys.  The small wheel woolie is perfect for the groove on Pretorias, where it dissapears behind the spokes.  The Pretorias are the first alloy I've had where every size of the wheel woolies has a use, but mainly the large and small ones.

I used to have the larger EZ wheel brush but never liked it and in fact just given it to a member on another forum.

The medium wheel woolie is perfect for tailpipes.  I've used mine for tailpipe for last 3 years and they shift a lot of dirt.  I also use then on the lower front bumper, rear diffuser and the number plates too.
I didn't fancy the large EZ brush but the small one is a belter and reaches the back of my wheels just about
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #509 on: 20 April 2016, 21:59 »
Well today I decide to make the most of the sun and give the car a clean it deserves.

I'm a little (Mrs says a lot) OCD with my cars but I do see them as my only real sin, I don't drink or smoke and work tends to get in the way of a lot of other good stuff.

Well today the car had the following.....
Wheels cleaned first with the following process....... snow foamed, rinsed, cleaned with dodo juice born to be mild shampoo and then deep cleaned with billberry via wheel woolies and an alloy wash mitt.
Wheels rinsed again and then the car..........

The full car was snow foamed and whilst that rested i filled up two buckets with some more dodo juice born to mild.
The car was then rinsed and then washed with my new wowo wash mitt (very nice indeed).  As the cars dark I tend to clean the upper all around and then move on to the lower panels working my way round the car evenly.

One cleaned the i then rinsed the car with the power washer to get into all the obvious places, once that's done out comes the raceglaze water filter for the final rinse to prevent water drops drying and me rushing around like a fool.

I know I don't have to dry the car but still feel the need, I use a metro mini to do the alloys and then two drying towels to pat the car down as needed.

Now usually that's the weekly cycle done but today the car needed some tlc.  As I live by the coast it appears the seagulls have taken an opportunity whilst I wasn't about to dance on the bonnet and the roof. 

Outcomes the DA machine at this point, I started with a light pad and some angle glaze cleanser which worked to great effect, once the offeding eye sores were taken care of all the surfaces were then protected with dodo purple haze pro (new product to me but I really liked it).

Finally the glass was gleaned with autoglym glass polish, the tyres dresses with chemicals guys tyres dressing and the alloys themself treated to chemical guys alloy polish.

Overall not a Bad days work and the car that's 2years and 4 months old certainly doesn't look her age.........

Car looks immense!  Superb detailing work.  :cool: :cool: :cool:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual