Author Topic: Help Required  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Middy2000

• Just got here
Help Required
« on: 03 July 2016, 19:36 »
Hello,

I've just inherited a non starting T reg GTi Turbo that appears to have an electrical gremlin.
The history was months ago when arming the alarm from the fob the alarm sounded. After that the car wouldn't start. With repeated arming & disarming it eventually corrected itself and ran fine until now.

It triggered the alarm after arming & that's it, it no longer starts. The fib no longer has any effect. You can lock / unlock the car from the key. When you open the door you can hear clicking noises from the relays in the dash.
If you insert the key to position 2 all lights & speedo go out. No electrics work, no Windows, radio etc...if you gently turn the key towards starting point the lights come on & things start clicking. It's very similar noise you get with a flat battery. If you turn fully to the normal position the starter motor would kick in the lights go out again & there's nothing, not even a single click of the starter.
Also the alarm randomly goes off when you open a door despite unlocking it with a key.
I've changed the battery & it's still the same. I suspect a dodgy earth but have no idea how to test this or find it.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Help Required
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2016, 21:18 »
Earths are under the battery on the chassis leg I believe. Definately somewhere around that battery. When my car does that its normally the negative terminal loosing connection, so thats a good place to begine

Offline Middy2000

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2016, 18:05 »
Funny enough the negative clamp won't tighten fully on the battery. Of the two bolts one is not working so even fully tightened on the other the clamp can spin on the battery terminal. Surely this couldn't be it?   I'm quite excited that it could be something so simple. Can't wait to try.

Offline Middy2000

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2016, 19:24 »
Well knock me down with a feather. After removing the battery & tray I checked the ground. It looked ok but gave it a good clean & refit. Bingo. Everything back normal. Few cosmetic bits & she's ready for a new owner.