Author Topic: Mk4 2001 2.0l gti  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Workingcocker

• Just got here
Mk4 2001 2.0l gti
« on: 13 June 2016, 17:45 »
Hi all, I have bought myself a project gti. It was a bargain price with a couple of faults from a mate who just wanted rid of it. I bought it with a misfire, supposed duff brake servo and a worn drop link on the passanger side, a lad from work can and scanned it and we got a random misfire code and misfire at cylinder 1 code, so I stripped the inlet manifold off it, replaced the plugs and leads (cylinder 1 plug with black with carbon) and put it back together and started her up. It ran ok until I pressed the brake pedal, so on inspection I found the servo vacuum pipe to be shot to bits on every join. My question is will this cause the car to idle roughly??? And is it a vw only part??? I'm struggling to sorce one.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Mk4 2001 2.0l gti
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2016, 16:33 »
Engine code?

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Workingcocker

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2016, 20:03 »
AZJ

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2016, 19:02 »
any kind of vacuum leak can cause a rough idle, from memory the servo pipe is about £40 from VW.

also for future plug changes you can do it without removing the manifold - either carefully with long nose pliers or buy the lead pulling tool off ebay for about a tenner.

Offline Workingcocker

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2016, 15:31 »
Cheers, I've ordered a new pipe from vw £31 and should have it in the morning.
 I changed the plugs first of all without taking off the manifold but after a test I thought it best to change the leads as well hence stripping the manifold lol.
Fingers crossed the new servo vacuum pipe does the trick  :grin:

Offline Workingcocker

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2016, 18:15 »
Ok new servo vacuum pipe is fitted, seams ok and the brakes work again but come across another problem!!! The left hand side of the intake manifold as a small rubber hose to the underside, and it's not connected to anything and hisses when the engine is running. The car still ideals a little rough but better than it was, I'm not sure if the pipe should be connected if it should be I can't for the life of me find out what!!!