Author Topic: HOW TO: Install a Bluetooth Hands Free with Mic.  (Read 127137 times)

Offline p3eps

• I live here
HOW TO: Install a Bluetooth Hands Free with Mic.
« on: 17 April 2010, 21:05 »
I originally installed my Bluetooth kit with the Mic in the Overhead Light compartment.  It worked OK, but the quality wasn't great.  I tried moving it to the A-pillar... where it was much better.

This guide will cover putting the Mic in the overhead light first, and then fitting in the A-Pillar a bit further down.  Most of it is shared no matter where your mic is though!  I was going to remove the light assembly bit - but it may be useful for someone retrofitting the OEM VW Phone kit, or the Skoda kit.

Tools required:
A plastic trim tool
A Torx T20 screwdriver
A ruler / coathanger (or something similar)
Some electrical tape.
A couple of Tie Wraps
A little bit of patience!
Some foam or something padded to wrap the Control Module in - to save it rattling.

FITTING MIC IN OVERHEAD LIGHT COMPARTMENT

Poke the trim tool in the area circled above.  Lever it, and it should POP! 

Gently pull that side until its loose, and then repeat at the other side.  This piece of trim will come off.  Put it somewhere safe!

The circled area above is where the OEM Mic lives.  There is a piece of foam in there to block the noise.  If you're using the standard Fiscon Mic then you should remove this foam, split the Mic housing open, and put the actual Mic inside this.  Follow the Fiscon Instruction Manual for this here: http://fiscon-mobile.com/products/mic.php

Put the trim tool in the area circled above.  It will come off like a flap.  You may need to prise around the lined area to get this one off.

Leave the flap on, and remove the two torx T20 screws which are circled above.

The overhead light assembly should now be loose, and hang down.  Fit your Mic into where you removed the foam from.  If you're using the Standard Fiscon Mic, then you'll have a bit of the housing attached to the cable.

You can tuck the rest of your Mic housing into the bit where the red tape is in the above image.  It should be fairly well wedged in, but I put a bit of tape over it to prevent it rattling at a later date.  If you're not using the standard Fiscon Mic, then ignore this!

Open up your sun visor - the next step is to remove the light under there.  Pop your trim tool in the circled area, and the light should pop out fairly easily.  Just leave it connected as its not really in the way.

Get a ruler or something similar and tape the Mic's plug onto the end of it.  Don't use a lot of tape as its going to be tricky to get it off!

Feed the ruler into the light assembly.  It should be pretty easy to feed it to the sunvisor light.

Once you can see the ruler, undo the tape and pull the Mic cable through.  If you've gone overboard with the tape, this might be a bit tricky through the tiny hole!

Now we need to remove the overhead handle... or 'Jesus Handles' as they're referred to in my house.  Jeeeeezus - as you grab on when going round a corner on two wheels!
Anyway... ping back the 2 flaps and then remove the 2 Torx T20 screws underneath.  The handle should then just pull off with a little bit of force.

The purpose for removing the 'Jesus Handle' is to give us a bit more flexibility.  If you open the door and pull back the seal, you'll find that you can now pull the roof lining down a little bit beside the handles.  This is where we're going to feed the cable to.

Bend a coat hanger to a shape like above.  Once again, tie the Mics jack plug onto the end of the coat hanger.  Very carefully feed the coat hanger back into the Sun Visor Light - and aim for the area around the 'Jesus Handle'.  You'll need to pull the seal back a little on the door / roof and put your fingers in to try and grab it.  This bit is tricky and took about 10 minutes until success.  Have a little patience!!

Hopefully without too much hassle you'll end up with the Mic Plug poking out above the door.  Untape it, and pull the remaining cable through.  Gently feed the coat hanger back the way.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2012, 20:17 by p3eps »
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline p3eps

• I live here
FITTING MIC TO A-PILLAR

Inside the Fiscon box you will get 3 pieces for mounting.  The one above is the most discreet, and will do us fine.  Don't bother removing the sticky backing, as it will be pretty secure where we're going to put it.

Pull back the rubber seal around the door a bit, and then put your finger in to pull the trim back slightly.  Put the Mic where it is in the picture, and feed the cable in the direction of the arrow.

Now you have the cable in and the Mic in place, slide the mounting piece in between the trim.

Push it fully in.  It will hold in there quite securely.

Clip the Mic into the holder.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2012, 20:46 by p3eps »
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline p3eps

• I live here
STEP 2 - FOR EITHER MIC POSITION

Lift the rubber seal, and carefully push the cable in.  You should feel the top of the trim where the cable will tuck in nicely behind.  Feed it right down the door pillar.

Once you get it to the area above, then stop.  Remove the fuse panel cover by prising it off from the bottom.

Gently pull the piece of trim back (its only held on with a clip) and route the cable where the arrow goes.

Open the little cubby hole.  Squeeze the areas circled and push them in the direction of the arrows.  Whilst pushing, try and open the cubby more - and it will fully open past its usual amount.
Simply tug the drawer towards you, and the whole drawer should come away in your hands!

Feed the cable through the fusebox and out of where the drawer came out.  I used a couple of tie wraps to keep the cable secure in the fuse box area to save any rattles.

Take the cable from the fusebox area and through to the next section - under the steering column.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2012, 21:06 by p3eps »

Offline p3eps

• I live here

The next step is to remove the RCD / RNS.  Simply stick your trim tool like in the photo above, and pop it. 

Work your way up this side and round the top and bottom.  Once you have it open enough to get your fingers in then use them instead to save risking marking the dash.  The clips are pretty tough and need quite a big pull to get them off.

Once you get the trim completely off you can remove the 4 x Torx T20 screws that hold the stereo in.

The stereo will simply pull out.  Disconnect the big CAN connector, small MDI connector, and the twin aerial connector.  If you have a Sat Nav, you will also have a GPS Aerial to unplug.

Put the stereo somewhere safe - NOT on your leather seats  :shocked:

Now for the next hard bit.  Wear long sleeves when doing this - as you can see from the photos, I've lost a lot of skin doing this!
Put your left arm in the stereos compartment - right to the back, and then put it to the right and down.  Now grab the Mic cable in your right hand, and put it in the underneath of the steering wheel.  Try and get your hands to meet each other in the middle - and pass the cable to your left hand.  Now you should have the Mic cable where it needs to be.

I found the next stage was made easier by removing the climate control.  Its only a few clips and 4 x Torx T20 screws.  You don't HAVE to do this, but it means you can fit the stereo and still have access to the underneath - for tucking the bluetooth module in.
Grab the trim round the climate control and gently pull it off - it has 4 clips that will pop off.  Just lay it ontop of your gear lever... and DONT unplug the airbag switch as you will probably get an error!

Remove the 4 screws that are circled above.  They stay attached to the climate control... but pull them out and put them somewhere safe as they can fall out!

You should now have something like this.  You can now stuff your Fiscon box down the back of the climate control.  I haven't done this yet, but am going to get some rubber or similar to wrap round it to save it rattling about.  Make sure all your wires are secured and don't rattle. 

Whilst performing this operation, I swapped my RCD510 for an RNS510.  The connections are identical, apart from the RNS has a GPS Antenna to plug in.  The easiest place to fit the antenna is up above where the stereo sits.  You can see in the picture above the RNS antenna is on the right.  I also have another GPS antenna on the left for my Micro RoadPilot.  If you put your hand up, you should feel the space.  My GPS antenna was just a little loose, so I stuck a few layers of electrical tape on the bottom of it to 'beef it up'!  Then it slotted in and felt very secure.

Here is a zoomed in picture of the antenna (before I covered its base in red electrical tape!).  The hole is basically in behind the air vents.

Plug all the connectors back into the stereo and gently slide it into its housing.  You may find that it sticks because of the amount of wires in the back.  Here is where it is useful to have the climate control off, as you can put your hand in and pull the cables out of the way.

Now its just a case of putting everything back together the opposite way that you took it apart!!
« Last Edit: 09 April 2012, 21:15 by p3eps »

Offline p3eps

• I live here
VagCom Coding  for dummies  :laugh:

Click 'Select Control Module'.

Choose '19-CAN Gateway'.

Click on 'Coding - 07'.

Choose 'Long Coding Helper'.

On the bit marked '3)' count along to the 6th box (marked 06 on mine - although it may be different on yours).  This is 'Byte 5' - as it goes 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - hence the 6th box is Byte 5!
Click the box circled which is 'Bit 2 [77] Telephone'.

Click 'Exit'.

Click 'Do It!' - it will take a few seconds and tell you coding is successful.

Now exit out back to the main menu.
Hold the button next to the eject button on the RNS / RCD510 and whilst holding, press the 2 arrow buttons (on the other side of the CD slot).  Hold these 3 buttons for about 10 seconds, and the RNS / RCD will reboot.  Once it starts up again, the Phone button should be active  8)
« Last Edit: 06 May 2010, 19:37 by p3eps »

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Wow, really impressive! :smiley:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Great write up and well done for removing the fascia without breaking any of the clips.
I was really careful with mine but still managed to snap 2 of them off  :angry: Good news it though it still fits tightly but can come easily if I want it off.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
p3eps,

Quality info there...
Slightly off topic with this one - perhaps the subject of another fine 'how to'?

Where are you planning on putting / or have put, your Sat Nav antenna?
Darren was saying the Mk6 doesn't have the grill on top of the sash to hide it below, as the Mk5 does...so where does it go?
Anywhere behind the dash it'll work?

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
There are 2 wee ledges that the GPS will fit into just above where the head unit sits.
I wrapped mine with kitchen roll so it was a tight fit and didn't rattle. I've been really impressed with the signal especially since the unit is hidden inside the dash.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
There are 2 wee ledges that the GPS will fit into just above where the head unit sits.
I wrapped mine with kitchen roll so it was a tight fit and didn't rattle. I've been really impressed with the signal especially since the unit is hidden inside the dash.

Don't suppose you took any pics?
Maybe better in a different thread?

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.