Author Topic: Front Bumper Reinforcement Bar Removal  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Timothy Bryce

• Just got here
Front Bumper Reinforcement Bar Removal
« on: 05 April 2020, 12:41 »
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience of removing the Front Bumper Reinforcement Bar?
I've seen a few videos of fmic upgrades where people tend to take the whole front end off (after removing bumper and lights) but I'm not certain on what is connected to what and what's being supported by what.
I'm basically asking, once the front bumper is off, can the reinforcement bar be simply unbolted and a replacement bolted on or will everything fall apart?
Cheers
Tim

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Front Bumper Reinforcement Bar Removal
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2020, 12:54 »
Why do you want to take it off  :undecided:

Offline Timothy Bryce

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2020, 13:11 »

The bit at the front (that the styrofoam fits over) is squashed to hell and the styrofoam is missing.
I guess it had a little bump in a previous life. I thought if it was an easy fix I could swap it for a new one next time I have the bumper off....
Not sure if it's worth buying the styrofoam filler as well; does it serve much of a purpose?

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2020, 13:43 »

The bit at the front (that the styrofoam fits over) is squashed to hell and the styrofoam is missing.
I guess it had a little bump in a previous life. I thought if it was an easy fix I could swap it for a new one next time I have the bumper off....
Not sure if it's worth buying the styrofoam filler as well; does it serve much of a purpose?
Sounds like more than a little bump if the crash bar is squashed and if fitting a new one I’d replace the foam as well

Offline Timothy Bryce

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2020, 14:42 »

Sounds like more than a little bump if the crash bar is squashed and if fitting a new one I’d replace the foam as well

No, it's nothing significant; it's just the flimsy hollow section attached to the front of the bar that's squashed; at least, it's misshapen enough that I won't be able to bend it back again so I suspect the foam piece wouldn't stay put.
This isn't mine; this is much worse than mine but I've used this pic so you can see the section to which I refer.

Offline Timothy Bryce

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2020, 15:04 »
Mine looks a bit more like this:-

I've just read on a forum that the UK cars don't even have the styrofoam filler?!
Can anyone here confirm or deny? I don't fancy my chances of getting through to a VW parts counter any time soon!
Edit: I've just watched a bunch of Youtube videos on bumper removal and the majority look as though the foam piece is either missing or was never there....
« Last Edit: 05 April 2020, 15:10 by Timothy Bryce »