Author Topic: Will anyone be buying Gap Insurance for their GTi/GTD  (Read 5031 times)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: Will anyone be buying Gap Insurance for their GTi/GTD
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2013, 22:13 »
why not ask for it for free in with your deal?

Because I'd all ready got various deals and that was pushing my luck!

Do you think you can do that?  I mean, if you've ordered a car already your not going to cancel if they refuse free GAP and they know it so surely they'll just say no?

I'm considering extended warranty, GAP and service plan... Is there some technique that might get one of these for free or discounted?  Cause that would be good.  Mighty expensive for all three otherwise if I decide I wanted the lot.

I would imagine that any of these types of product that the dealer can sell will result in commission for the salesman involved. It wouldn't do any harm in asking if you took 2 out of 3 would they throw in the 3rd one for free, probably whichever is the cheaper of the three.

There should be some negotiation round the GAP insurance in particular given that you can get it quite a bit cheaper

As they say if you don't ask, you don't get

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2013, 23:07 »
GAP and Diamondbrite (or equivalent) are the big commission add-ons for the sales-people. I suppose that is why my salesman always adds it on if you haven't pushed the discount to the point he won't give you anything else. My dealer would rather give me a £400 GAP package than an extra £200 off the car because he gets £130 commission. Salesman gets nowt from the sale of the warranty or service pack beyond a standard percentage of their value as part of the car. Commission for taking out VW finance is healthy too.

The salesman has probably got nothing to gain by giving you an even better deal than that already agreed by giving you another freebie. He knows that if you were to pull out of the deal without good reason you'd lose your deposit and given the waiting time he'd have no bother selling your car on if they kept the order going.

I'd ask but not expect anything. He might be willing to cost the dealership £400 in free GAP to put £130 into his own pocket, but unless he's the site sales manager, I doubt you'll get anything.

If you are getting VW finance then you get the £369 service pack for £249 (it was free with the finance on my Roc), you won't pay anywhere near that low for 3 individual services so it's still worth getting even if you have to pay for it.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Kendo44

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2013, 13:50 »
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions, I dont think i will be able to squeeze any more out of the dealership, but I just wanted to ensure that a new for old policy would cover the first one or two years (one with Direct Line, and two with SAGA, being over 50 has its advantages lol).
Also apologies for starting a new thread when one already existed!
Golf GTD 5 Dr Keyless entry, rear side airbags, park assist, Oryx white, Winter pack, Sunroof - and lovin' it :-)