Author Topic: I drove one this evening!!  (Read 3941 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: I drove one this evening!!
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2013, 10:41 »
When I drove the gti in Durham you could tell between the three different modes straight away. comfort relaxed the steering (for want of a better word), normal mode was normal and sport mode tightened the steering (heavier feel). you could tell on the suspension too in the country lanes I was on. I'm pleased I added it to my order.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2013, 11:11 »

It has taught me that you can't believe everything people say and that if you can you really need to drive any car you intend to buy, because in the end your opinion is the only one thats counts! Having said that I hope you all find my humble ramblings of some use.

And yes my order was in before my opportunity to test drive  :embarrassed: :whistle:

Nice review mate. I totally agree that everyone buying the GTI should take it for a drive. It really helped me in deciding to opt for DSG. I actually drove both manual and DSG and in fact, a MK 6 DSG on consecutive days.

Like you, I also didn't want to leave the car after my test drive :) I only drove it for 25 mins mind.

Offline EliteBajan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2013, 11:19 »
When I drove the gti in Durham you could tell between the three different modes straight away. comfort relaxed the steering (for want of a better word), normal mode was normal and sport mode tightened the steering (heavier feel). you could tell on the suspension too in the country lanes I was on. I'm pleased I added it to my order.

Given more time I would have tinkered more and tried sport suspension with normal steering. That's what I think is good about the system, how you can customise it to what you want. It would be good to drive one without ACC so I can see exactly what the difference is on a standard setup. Especially given that I haven't opted for it.
Candy White Mk6 GTI 2012 - Bog standard! Weight saving you understand (stolen March 2013)

Solid Black Mk7 5dr, Leather, Performance Pack & Dynaudio.

mjh_056

« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2013, 12:21 »

Part of my thinking is my S Line suspension would be similar if maybe slightly harsher than the GTI Sport setting and was actually pleased to see Sport was described as 'fidgety' on town roads as that is my experience now and that by placing setting to 'normal' the ride settled markedly so that justifies the choosing of ACC right there.

Think the expectation should be that 'Sport' is a little fidgety on the very indifferent town roads we experience and that there is not anything actually wrong in it being so as that set up is what makes for greater driving experience when get to push it a bit more - But I do live with my S Line suspension quite happily we are always quite critical on forums as we highlight experiences and imagine the GTI sport setting is better still and would probably be more than fine as a standalone still.

With both the ACC and DSG being new and refined versions seems I have picked a good time to jump on board from Audi :)

In fact having been looking at other versions of GTI and comments in overall forum from MK4-6 thinking of selling our 2nd car a Mini Cooper and going all in on Golf GTI/GTD :)

Offline EliteBajan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 01 June 2013, 14:18 »
I don't know if I made it clear enough originally, but I thought the ride was very good irregardless of the setting. What I was not taken with was how the steering felt when in sport mode. Which was overly heavy around the straight ahead and I had to constantly make small corrections. It felt very artificial especially when driving around town. Maybe with more time I might have become more accustomed to the weight and found it of benefit when pressing on?

As it was I personally didn't like the sport setting and found as soon as I put it on normal the feel was far better, more natural and uninhibited. But as far as ride comfort and body control were concerned I had no complaints at all.
Candy White Mk6 GTI 2012 - Bog standard! Weight saving you understand (stolen March 2013)

Solid Black Mk7 5dr, Leather, Performance Pack & Dynaudio.

mjh_056

« Reply #15 on: 01 June 2013, 17:11 »
I don't know if I made it clear enough originally, but I thought the ride was very good irregardless of the setting. What I was not taken with was how the steering felt when in sport mode. Which was overly heavy around the straight ahead and I had to constantly make small corrections. It felt very artificial especially when driving around town. Maybe with more time I might have become more accustomed to the weight and found it of benefit when pressing on?

As it was I personally didn't like the sport setting and found as soon as I put it on normal the feel was far better, more natural and uninhibited. But as far as ride comfort and body control were concerned I had no complaints at all.

Guilty of misunderstanding what meant but clear now :)

But also reassured from the real world test drives and feedback we getting that the varying adjustment available are felt and will meet our personal preferences.