Author Topic: Launch Control  (Read 11976 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: Launch Control
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2013, 10:46 »
All sounds well-and-good, but even if the "3 strikes and your out" story is an old VWives tale...launch control in a medium-sized family car that does 0 - 60 in only 7 or 8 seconds?!  Nah...

Give me a manual where I can hold whatever revs I want in whatever gear I want whenever I want...that sounds like more fun to me!

What do you mean 7 or 8 seconds!?!?!

Its 6.5 or better dammit! :tongue:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2013, 10:47 »
All sounds well-and-good, but even if the "3 strikes and your out" story is an old VWives tale...launch control in a medium-sized family car that does 0 - 60 in only 7 or 8 seconds?!  Nah...

Give me a manual where I can hold whatever revs I want in whatever gear I want whenever I want...that sounds like more fun to me!

Still pointless, all you'll do is ruin your tyres!

Now 0-60 in 2.9 seconds in a Turbo S.....  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2013, 10:51 »

Haha, Mk6 cars generally I'm referring to as rough speeds!  Mk7, granted the GTI is 6.5 or better, but still way outside what I'd say warrants such a pointless gimmick!  But, if it works and doesn't void your warranty, go for it ;)  Personally, I prefer the lazy way of setting off that doesn't involve strict procedures!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2013, 11:03 »
If they don't warn you about it in the user manual after telling you how to use launch control than  I can't see how they could punish you for using it and shagging your clutches within the DSG box by claiming you invalidated the warranty. VW always err on the side of caution when it comes to engineering, over-engineering if anything to ensure longevity. Giving you access to something that is going to shag your car after a few tries seems off to me.

In any case i'd probably feel more comfortable doing this to a 6 speed wet clutch box than a 7 speed dry clutch box fitted to 1.4TSIs.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #24 on: 29 May 2013, 11:27 »
In any case i'd probably feel more comfortable doing this to a 6 speed wet clutch box than a 7 speed dry clutch box fitted to 1.4TSIs.

My current (dry clutch) 7 speed DSG does not offer launch control. Just as well too :wink:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline mark@vorny.co.uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2013, 12:44 »
It is incredibly mechanically unsympathetic in my opinion.

I haven't done it in the wife's Golf.

In mine, you put it in a mode (sport plus), foot on brake, foot to the floor so it's bouncing off the limiter, and release the brake, and pow........

Not something to do at the lights waiting for a pedestrian to cross or in the drive-thru......

Done it once with my son in the car just out of curiosity.....

2012 GTi 3 door, DSG, Nav, Roof, Monza's. Candy White..... and it's the wife's.
2013 Abarth 595, 2013 911 C4S.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2013, 13:05 »

Still pointless, all you'll do is ruin your tyres!

Now 0-60 in 2.9 seconds in a Turbo S.....  :laugh:

2.6 seconds in a nissan GT-R  :cool:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2013, 13:08 »
^^ Nice!!  :cool:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2013, 13:10 »
Or you can have the Ariel Atom V8 at just 2.3 seconds, or a "proper" car in the guise of a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport at a rather snail-like 2.43 seconds...ouch!

Makes the 2.8 seconds 0-60 time on a rollercoaster I was riding at the weekend seem slow!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 31 May 2013, 19:53 »
In mine, you put it in a mode (sport plus), foot on brake, foot to the floor so it's bouncing off the limiter, and release the brake, and pow........

There's something wrong with yours then  :undecided:  launch control limits the revs to around 3000rpm.
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007