Author Topic: Launch Control  (Read 11975 times)

Offline MkVIIGTD

• Not said much yet
Launch Control
« on: 24 May 2013, 15:45 »
Just had a test drive in new MkVII GTI at my local dealer this afternoon. Car drives really well and plenty of power there too.
The sales guy mentioned to me that they come with launch control now fitted as standard... Just wondered has anyone else heard anything about this? And bigger question than that... Does it come on the GTD with DSG too?
He didn't know must about it, just mentioned the guys in the workshop had been on training for the launch and got demo of the launch control  :smiley:

Golf MkVII GTD Tornado Red, DSG, Leather, Rear Camera, Keyless

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: Launch Control
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2013, 16:10 »
I'm pretty sure the DSG will have launch control. Don't think the manual has it  :cry:

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2013, 17:06 »
No not heard about the launch control, but I for one won't be touching it. Bit of a gimmick if you ask me... I currently have something similar on my five, but after five attempts your clutch is totally mullered!!!
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2013, 17:12 »
By launch control do you mean the DSG function that disables the automatic shift such that you floor it and it will stay in first until it hits the red line and the safety feature kicks in and upshifts?  If so I'm not sure what he means by "standard".  Hasn't that always been a standard way you can use the DSG? 

Offline Movi

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2013, 17:27 »
i'm sure the dsg will have it, my mk6 GTD does

it works like so.

turn off traction control

engage S mode

foot on brake

floor the accelerator - and it holds the revs at 2000 rpm

when your ready to go, let your foot off the brake and off you go! :evil:

be aware you void your warranty after 3 attempts.  :lipsrsealed:

got to be experienced at least once imo.

Movi

(MY08) ED30 CW 3DR (Sold) - (MY11) MK6 GTD CW 3DR DSG - Its Here :) MK7 R LB 3DR DSG

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2013, 17:34 »

You're kidding?

So... no ex demo car comes with warranty then presumably.  And any second hand car you'd basically have to have VW inspect so they can interrogate the ECU or whatever and see if the warranty applies still or not?

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2013, 17:45 »

I think that was an urban myth as it tells you how to do it in the manual, with no warnings, and they have no way of knowing how many times you use it.

It was in my MK5 and MK6 so expect it to be in the MK7. The main issue is trying to avoid axle tramp, not an issue in the R as it just drops on the suspension and goes  :evil:
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline mark@vorny.co.uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2013, 17:49 »
Nissan void it on the GTR after 3 attempts. Porsche allow limitless abuse with theirs. Be good to know on the VW front for sure. Haven't used it on the Golf, don't intend to.

Have done several runs in Porsche's at Silverstone and it's quite fun, but can't ever imagine it being of use on the road  :nerd:

2012 GTi 3 door, DSG, Nav, Roof, Monza's. Candy White..... and it's the wife's.
2013 Abarth 595, 2013 911 C4S.

Offline Movi

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2013, 17:58 »

You're kidding?

So... no ex demo car comes with warranty then presumably.  And any second hand car you'd basically have to have VW inspect so they can interrogate the ECU or whatever and see if the warranty applies still or not?

Just relaying what the user manual states.

don't know if there is a counter in the ECU or not.
Movi

(MY08) ED30 CW 3DR (Sold) - (MY11) MK6 GTD CW 3DR DSG - Its Here :) MK7 R LB 3DR DSG

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2013, 18:09 »
My user manual says nothing about not using it more than three times. It just describes the procedure.

Just use it as much as you like, it has no affect on warranty.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2013, 18:11 by mike. »
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(