Poll

You are stuck in traffic listening to the radio when disaster strikes, they are playing Rihanna.  Your passenger reaches for the volume control, do you...

Let them turn it down, who cares if the on symbol is the right way up?  People who do need help right?
Tense up, you know the on symbol won't be the right way up but you grin and bear it?
Scream at them to leave it alone and use the steering wheel controls to turn Rihanna down yourself?
Slap their hand away and silently curse the VW engineer hoping karma is making him pay for this somehow?

Author Topic: How OCD are you?  (Read 7328 times)

Offline mark@vorny.co.uk

• GTI forum regular
Re: How OCD are you?
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2013, 17:43 »
My OCD stretched to watching the man from Event Tyres painstakingly avoid any damage when putting two new fronts on today. Full marks to him too  :cool:

2012 GTi 3 door, DSG, Nav, Roof, Monza's. Candy White..... and it's the wife's.
2013 Abarth 595, 2013 911 C4S.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2013, 17:48 »
How many of you have noticed if your wheel center caps are the right way round? The VW should be the right way up when the valve is at the 6 o clock position.

I've taken wheels off and popped the centre caps to put them in correctly in the past.
 :nerd:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2013, 19:47 »
You can stand under my umbrella
(Ella ella eh eh eh)
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella eh eh eh)
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella eh eh eh)
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella eh eh eh eh eh eh)

Jules Winfield

« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2013, 20:27 »
How many of you have noticed if your wheel center caps are the right way round? The VW should be the right way up when the valve is at the 6 o clock position.

I've taken wheels off and popped the centre caps to put them in correctly in the past.
 :nerd:

I would do that, but I don't want to take them off myself (or have the means/skill for doing so).  When I had my tyres changed recently, they put at least one of the wheels that was previously on the back on the front instead (it has a mark on it, so I can tell).  This is very annoying.  My centre caps are marked on the inside so I know which end and side the tyre belongs to when they get taken off the car and swapped for winter wheels.  I did ask the fitters to take the centre caps out so I could re-fit them myself, but they failed to do so.  Perhaps they couldn't work out how (bit thick).

I also make sure that the wing mirror knob is at the six o'clock position when I'm not using or about to use the heated mirrors or dipping passenger mirror features.  I've actually unlocked the car and put the knob back to its "home" position on a number of occasions in the past.

The headlight dial pleases me greatly.  I leave mine in the "Auto" position.  It's pointing straight up.  It looks tidy.

I don't think it's being "messed up".  It's having a nice car and having spent a lot of money on it.  Therefore I take great care of it and take pride in it.  I want to keep it nice.  It still puts a smile on my face, even if it is a diesel automatic with lots of stone chips in the bonnet (if only Kelly Brook could walk by when I'm driving along, she'd be unable to stop herself).

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2013, 20:44 »
This thread is hilarious. Best one yet.

Keep it up (at a right angle of course :wink:).
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2013, 22:52 »
This thread is hilarious. Best one yet.

^+1.

On a previous car I owned many years ago, I never used the trip recorder as a trip recorder, but had it set so it always read the same as the last 3 digits of the odometer. Never changed it from the day I bought the car to the day I sold it!

With my mk6, I also have the volume knob on the head unit with the symbol in the correct, upward-facing position. Also, when I use the 12v socket in the cubby / ashtray in the centre console for my car vacuum, I always ensure the cigarette symbol on the cigarette lighter is in the horizontal position when I put the lighter back in the socket. :grin: Being a non-smoker, I never use the ashtray or the cigarette lighter, and the lid is always closed, so would it matter if the cigarette symbol on the lighter wasn't in the correct position? It would to me, even though no one else ever sees it!

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 25 May 2013, 01:27 »
Ok this may seem a bit extreme to some... But how many of you... After having cleaned your pride & joy, admit to driving "erratically" in the VAIN attempt to keep your car looking clean for as long as possible.... For example....

A) keeping a sizeable distance (big enough to fit 10 London buses) between you & the car in front, in the likely hood that the b'stard in front decides to target you with their washer fluid!

B) taking extreme evasive action when it comes to puddles, to the point where you end up driving on the wrong side of the road & nearly cause a head on collision!

C) however dirty your own windscreen is, you refrain from using your own windscreen wash for as long as possible knowing full well you can't see bugger all.... but you know its better that way than having dried on streak marks running down the side of your windows & doors!

D) driving as slowly as you can possibly get away with, to avoid bugs & insects committing Hari Kari on your bonnet. Avoiding motorways if necessary as bugs & insects like to congregate in the fast lane.

Is it only me??? I must be mad :laugh:
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2013, 08:31 »
Ok this may seem a bit extreme to some... But how many of you... After having cleaned your pride & joy, admit to driving "erratically" in the VAIN attempt to keep your car looking clean for as long as possible.... For example....

A) keeping a sizeable distance (big enough to fit 10 London buses) between you & the car in front, in the likely hood that the b'stard in front decides to target you with their washer fluid!

B) taking extreme evasive action when it comes to puddles, to the point where you end up driving on the wrong side of the road & nearly cause a head on collision!

C) however dirty your own windscreen is, you refrain from using your own windscreen wash for as long as possible knowing full well you can't see bugger all.... but you know its better that way than having dried on streak marks running down the side of your windows & doors!

D) driving as slowly as you can possibly get away with, to avoid bugs & insects committing Hari Kari on your bonnet. Avoiding motorways if necessary as bugs & insects like to congregate in the fast lane.

+1 on all of these mate - you're not on your own!

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #28 on: 25 May 2013, 08:45 »

It's not just you. I hate, hate, hate washing the car and then immediately watch it get dirty because it either rains or local farmers have driven their filthy tractors on the back roads near where I live. Drives me nuts!

I have been known to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid puddles and pot holes :shocked: but not when the missus is a passenger.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline mark@vorny.co.uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 25 May 2013, 11:44 »
That Monday morning drive, clean car, avoiding puddles, keeping a distance and then somebody goes and spoils it.

I spent a weekend last year machining my car, went out on the Monday and hit a swarm of bees. I have never seen such a messy aftermath, it was like insect bodies and honey. Poor bees.

I get everything written so far. I hate rusty hubs/wheelnuts/calipers and find myself walking along looking at parked cars hubs.

I have a thing about finger-marks on the inside surface of any glass, my lad learnt from about 18 months to keep them to himself.

I hate the way women turn every cubbyhole into a handbag, and the squirting of perfume before they get out of the car, wtf.

2012 GTi 3 door, DSG, Nav, Roof, Monza's. Candy White..... and it's the wife's.
2013 Abarth 595, 2013 911 C4S.