Author Topic: MK7 GTD in white dealership picture  (Read 24542 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: MK7 GTD in white dealership picture
« Reply #50 on: 02 June 2013, 17:03 »
I don't have pictures (the missus left her mobile at home and I don't use one) but I have at last sat in a GTI so I could check the switchgear and driving position out. Was a little worried that the gearstick wasn''t as ergonomic as the "Golf/Scirocco R" one I fitted to the Roc. It is, I can confidently stick it on ebay and put the original one back in the Roc before I p/x it rather than keeping it for the GTD.

I was at Benfield Scotswood Road, Newcastle after a visit to the Metrocentre and Costco. They have a pure white 5 door manual GTI there with keyless. They weren't offering test drives until next week so i'm booked in for a Saturday morning session. Right next to it they had a fully loaded 5 door Golf GT in Tornado Red with the wheels that look like the Nogaros (17" Singapores) - it looked very much like how I imagine my GTD to be looking like externally. Scotswood Road branch gets a massive amount of natural light in and the Tornado Red was looking amazing in the flesh under those conditions.

The missus jumped in the drivers seat and liked it a lot. She then decided to jump into the showroom Scirocco after never having sat in the drivers seat of mine (she doesn't drive - we're looking to change that) and said "why are you changing? That GTI is good, but this looks and feels better". I shook my head at her, then made arrangements for the test drive next week with the woman who sold me my first Scirocco. She was quite honest about lead times saying that one ordered now wouldn't be sen before the end of September (I resisted saying "yes, I know").

On the drive home we saw an immaculate Lupo GTI in a dark metallic grey - looked brand new. Why they stopped building those when it still looks fresher than a Fox or UP is beyond me, i'd have a new one tomorrow if they were still available and balls to the practicality of a Golf - imagine one of those with a current 1.4 140 or 180PS unit in it?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #51 on: 02 June 2013, 17:44 »
get some pictures up asap  :tongue:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #52 on: 02 June 2013, 17:54 »
get some pictures up asap  :tongue:

Very occasionally not having a mobile does have it's downside, and as the missus' phone isn't religiously carried at all times (as in this case).  :sad:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #53 on: 02 June 2013, 17:58 »
what did you think of the white Matthew? truthfully haha  :wink:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Chriscav

• Not said much yet
« Reply #54 on: 02 June 2013, 18:03 »
Ive had a kick nosey and a sit in this car.
Fantastic interior, I'm just not sold on the 5 door looks.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #55 on: 02 June 2013, 18:14 »
what did you think of the white Matthew? truthfully haha  :wink:

Nice, but not as nice as the Red (IMO). Both of those cars were within a few feet of a westerly facing wall of glass at 1pm - couldn't have been any more natural light on them inside the dealership. I suppose the measure of the white is that I generally don't like white cars but I could've lived with one in white if mine turned up mistakenly in that colour - that shade of white (not sold on warm whites like "candy"). The Golf suits a cold/neutral white.

I do sometimes think that for cars of all marques, white is the cheap option (obviously not so for VW now when it's half the cost of metallic), and as soon as it's not we'll see fewer of them on the road (again I talk about all marques). In Tornado Red I have done the cheap option on paper, but it is my favourite shade to live with every day. I started oout with a DBP colour choice, but it would pain me to look at that between weekly washes when the dust and grime build up and kill that mirror sheen. Some people choose white in the least suited of cars. Ever seen a white A5? White Jag? I see people in cars like that all the time and they really look sh!te, for a few hundred quid saved. If whites weren't so prevalent everywhere I might've been tempted to get one, but I really didn't want to add to the sea of white that is out there (about 60% of cars under 3 years old within 1/4 mile of my house are white, including an S5)

I think that generally White and Red are suited to small cars or medium cars that have small car proportions (like Golfs).

One more thing about the GTI - loving the black rooflining - only available on my Roc with TDI if I were to pay for black leather.
« Last Edit: 02 June 2013, 18:18 by monkeyhanger »