Author Topic: What will you miss (or not) from your existing car in going for a GTI / GTD  (Read 9914 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
As above really, is there anything your current car has that you will miss on the upcoming GTI/GTD's, and anything that you most certainly won't.

For instance, coming from a Scirocco, I still think it's a beautiful looking car, and I thinks it's the looks I will miss the most. The MK7 Golf is a handsome car in GTi/GTD trim (a little boring otherwise), but I think the Rocco beats it hands down (personal feeling). Also in the 2½ years I've had it, it's been faultlessly reliable, with no creaks or squeaks at all. Great economy with a good turn of speed (although I'm hoping the GTD will have this as well).

Things I wont miss. The frameless windows. Great in the summer, a bloody pain in the a*se in the winter. No proper DRL's i.e. VW took the easy path and just switch the headlights on all the time to act as DRL's despite the car being equipped with Auto lights (which virtually rendered them useless). To be fair, I've changed this using VCDS. No external release on the boot, it's a pain having to reach for the key or go in the car every time you want to open the boot. 18" interlagos alloys - look stunning when clean but a nightmare to keep clean and with the small spoke gap, becomes difficult to clean the rear wheel faces (although my wheel wollie's suffice  :laugh:). The 4x4 Stance. Why a car like as Scirocco has to have such a massive ride height on a car with sporting pretensions is beyond me.

It may seem I'm being hard on the Rocco, but I'm not, It's a fantastic car, and were it not for the new GTD / GTI's raising the bar again, I probably would have kept it despite it's limitations, however now I'm in the mindset to change, I cant' wait for the GTD to arrive.

However times do change, and the attraction of getting back into a 5 door hatchback was calling me. The tech has moved on massively on the Golf and will surely be a much safer car to travel in. I really like my toys so it's very gratifying that the Golf will have more toys than I know what to do with  :laugh: :laugh:

What about you. Why did you change cars ?
« Last Edit: 08 May 2013, 11:43 by Norbreck21a »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Driving an Audi TT at the moment for the "summer"

What I'll miss:

4 wheel drive (in the winter), the quattro system is excellent
Brilliant handling (although I'm sure the GTI will be just as good)

What I won't miss:

Sh!te mpg
Wind noise (convertible)
Being low down & therefore feeling all the bumps in the road (although my GTI will be on 19's so maybe not  :laugh:)
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Driving an Audi TT at the moment for the "summer"

What I'll miss:

4 wheel drive (in the winter), the quattro system is excellent
Brilliant handling (although I'm sure the GTI will be just as good)

What I won't miss:

Sh!te mpg
Wind noise (convertible)
Being low down & therefore feeling all the bumps in the road (although my GTI will be on 19's so maybe not  :laugh:)

Same here. My current car is a mk2 TT and I will most definitely miss its looks. I think it's still one of the nicest cars on the road and a real head turner. Ill actually miss the low down driving style as you feel as if you are in a real sports coupe. I loved the car but I hated the stealers, they were a nightmare to deal with - very arrogant.

My TT was a base model with no options as I couldn't afford any at the time, I just wanted a TT so much. The GTI is going to offer me so much more even if I hadn't specced any options.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Norbreck21a: My sentiments almost mirror yours on the Scirocco. Still not bored with it. Looks the business still (despite all the clones that have cropped up, none have surpassed the Scirocco).
The touch screen RCD510, 18" standard GT wheels and ACC in addition to the usual high end Golf 5/6 equipment (like autolights, rear dimming mirror etc) were a revelation at the time and made the MK5/6 look poor value in comparison for the standard kit they had.

I was equally annoyed about the auto lights that were always on (sidelights are my DRLs right now), but equally pleased when VCDS allowed me to add needle sweep and XDS (I had a mental few days flinging the car around roundabouts to assure myself that I did actually have XDS and that I hadn't just activated a dead module). I did have the dreaded boot creak/rattle on both of mine but they've been the 2 most reliable VWs i've had from new by far.

I did find it an odd mix of owners on the forums, i'm used to VW fans buying VWs, but the Scirocco saw lots of non VAG fans buying it because it was a trendy car - people coming in from Minis etc.

I do think it will be the charva car of choice in future when they can be bought used for less than half RRP.

With the 20% economy gains, 15PS more power, better residuals and a stack of standard equipment though, the GTD is going to be a far better car I think, even if it doesn't look quite as good.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Yep, they are great cars and awesome fun to chuck around as they grip the road brilliantly!

Had the misfortune to deal with Audi stealers on more than one occasion - so far up their own ar$e its unreal.  Certainly the worst I've come across.

The GTI will p!ss all over it, can't wait!!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Monkeyhanger: like you I dread the day when the poor Rocco comes down to the price point of the young chav set, as I can just see it now with halfords special spoilers, graphics etc.

oh dear, that will be a sad old day.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
I'm only changing 'cos I'm a tart.

I love my mk6 and everything about it.
Mind you, it's not quite factory standard...

It's the new tech of the mk7 that appeals to me, the extra spec as standard and I just had a feeling from the very beginning that VW would do something a bit more special with the mk7 as the competition has moved on a lot and the mk6 became very poor value unless you got a heavily discounted ED35

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
I'm only changing 'cos I'm a tart.

Well you said it  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
I won't be missing the "timing chain tensioner" fault on my 6. This is partly why I decided to change... Even though they replaced the engine under warranty I was still concerned that the same thing would eventually happen again.

Just hope this new EA888 engine has a new modified tensioner & we won't see the same sort of problems.
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Out of interest, what problems are these (being a Diesel owner I don't know about petrol issues).