Author Topic: FMIC help  (Read 1897 times)

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
FMIC help
« on: 23 October 2014, 15:32 »
Hi, when i bought my car the person had installed the fmic with it hanging half out of the front bumper (he chopped it up to accommodate it) I have finally got round to buying a new bumper, but the problem i have now is that i need to build a bracket for it (the guy just cut a hole in the crash bar and put bolts through it) Has anyone got any ideas on how i can fabricate a kind of bracket or know where i might be able to buy the one i want?

The kind of bracket i'll be needing is a 'S' bracket but i cant seem to find the right size.

I realise that this may be the wrong forum, but i feel that this would be one of the best places to ask because im sure someone else has had the same problem.

Thanks, Mo

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
Re: FMIC help
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2014, 13:08 »
Hi Mo,

What kind of FMIC is it?
You need to cut a huge section out of the crash bar to slide the intercooler behind it if you have aircon otherwise it sits too far forward as I found out in my first attempt at it  :grin:
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2014, 17:18 »
sh!t really? looks like I might have to do this when i go back to essex  :angry: I don't have the tools or space up here  :undecided:

Mind you the guy who installed it in the first place has cut away a fair bit, so you never know i might be alright, ill take the bumper off tomorrow to have a look

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2014, 12:35 »
Yeah its a PITA to line up right and get an R32 to fit it all (if using a wellycooler and 2.5" piping) still need to chop the hell out of the back of the bumper too
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2014, 19:55 »
I reinstalled the fmic yesterday, and had to cut away a load of the bumper, and now I'm at a point where the bumper is slightly offset, but it's still a huge improve on what I had before.  I'll get the before and after pics up in a minute.

Here they are!

I've also removed the colour coded trim from my old bumper that I'll put on sometime
« Last Edit: 03 November 2014, 20:42 by MoMartin »

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2014, 12:42 »
looks better than the amount I chopped out of my standard bumper lol
Get an R32 bumper looks a million times better  :wink:

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2014, 18:41 »
How much would that set me back?

Offline brewey

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2014, 19:11 »
Genuine bumper 250ish or a rep for 60ish. All down to your preference mate.
2000 1.8T ARZ - OEM+

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2014, 00:04 »
Ha I think I'll stick with the stock bumper for the moment :grin: I'm guessing that's without it being colour coded too

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2014, 21:41 »
Nice job mate. You can swap the rubstrips over too...

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175