Author Topic: Wipers Have Gone Screwy  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
Wipers Have Gone Screwy
« on: 12 November 2006, 00:14 »
Has anyone ever had their wipers slow down for no apparent reason?
It was lashing it down this afternoon (to the point where I needed the wipers on fast), all of a sudden they slowed to just above standard speed????
Kind of weird :shocked:

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: Wipers Have Gone Screwy
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2007, 03:56 »
Mine have slowed down considerably........to the point where they actually stopped half way across the screen this evening. Eventually they very slowly made their way to the parked position.
The slow down seems to have happened quite suddenly and for no obvious reason, but unfortunately it is now consistent, no matter what speed selected.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2007, 03:59 »
Hmmmm:-

Here goes - a list of things most likely to go wrong with your beloved Golf.........some of which i have taken from www.ukmkivs.net so a big thanks to those on that site for putting together the list!!  :smiley:

My windscreen wipers have stopped working.
The mechanism has probably seized. You can either replace the mechanism or strip it down, rub it with wet and dry and re-grease.

« Last Edit: 16 January 2007, 04:03 by richandhazel »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2007, 04:03 »
Looks like I'm going to be dismantling the mechanism tomorrow:-

- If the windscreen wipers are slow or noisy then the wiper mechanism is starting to seize up, but this is easily cured by removing the assembly and regreasing the wiper spindles, alternatively a new assembly is only around ?30-40 from a dealer.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2007, 01:07 »
Drivers side spindle had totally siezed up........I'm amazed the motor was able to move it at all :shocked:
Tried soaking it in plus gas for an hour and then working it loose. No joy. Tried removing the circlip and tapping the centre spindle out, it started to move and then the lug snapped.

Drove to VW, in the rain, no wipers and bought a new mechanism for £38inc. Like brand new now.

« Last Edit: 24 September 2010, 01:20 by richandhazel »