Author Topic: My detailing marquee....and a spot of spring detailing!  (Read 16885 times)

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
Re: My detailing marquee....and a spot of detailing!
« Reply #20 on: 16 April 2017, 09:27 »
Great dedication and attention to detail, as always

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: My detailing marquee....and a spot of detailing!
« Reply #21 on: 16 April 2017, 11:27 »
Looks great and the fact that even you get swirl marks makes me feel less apprehensive about cleaning mine.

Also you know when you see car that the owner has googled 'blingy chrome stuff' and bought everything? Imagine that but blue and.....

5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: My detailing marquee....and a spot of spring detailing!
« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2017, 16:56 »
Great dedication and attention to detail, as always

Thanks Eccie.

Looks great and the fact that even you get swirl marks makes me feel less apprehensive about cleaning mine.

Also you know when you see car that the owner has googled 'blingy chrome stuff' and bought everything? Imagine that but blue and.....

Lol. Do you think it will catch on.  :wink:

Everyone gets swirls, just on varying degrees, and if they say they don't, they are lying, lol.  This is the first time the whole car has been polished since I got it new 18 months ago.  I kind of like saving up the swirls so that polishing has an impact and it's like a refresh for the whole car.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2017, 20:35 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 16 April 2017, 16:58 »
Following on from yesterday a few more correction pics.
pics.

DA continued today with roof, off-side doors refined and wing mirrors corrected and refined.  Having used the Meguiars D301 Finishing Wax for this stage on the rest of the car yesterday, I decided to use Meguiars 205 Ultra Finishing Polish on these final panels, just for comparison.  Not much in it, but I think the 205 gives a slightly better final finish, but by a hair's breadth.

Megs 205 on MF finishing pad

Polishing finished with completion of roof....goodbye bird poo etching! 

A few close-up shots after polishing

Polishing complete, time to cleanse the paint in preparation for wax application.  I first went round the whole car with my Metrovac Vac n Blo to blast any dust off the car.  With trusty Gtechniq Panel Wipe on standby, but also decided to try Swissvax Paint Cleansing Fluid for a change, so used that on front of car.  It's a cream formula that needs to be buffed off straightaway.  Applied on a cotton foam pad and buffed off with plush MF.  Did the job well, but more effort to apply and buff off compared to Panel Wipe, so I used PW on rest of car.  Much easier - spray on, buff off - done!

Gathered together products for next phase.  Glass cleaners, OD glass rain repellent, C2v3 for wheels, Swissvax Wax, Mothers Polish for tailpipes and Hi-Shine true dressing. 

Next I sealed the wheels with C2v3 - 2 coats done.  Haven't had time to remove the wheels but that will get done over summer and hubs will be painted and wheels sealed with a nano coating at that time.  But for now, regular applications of C2 will suffice and has served me well over last year or so.

Onto the glass, couple of my favourite glass cleaners to choose from - Gtechniq G6 Perfect Glass and Obsessive Detail Clarity Streak Free Glass Cleaner.  Decided to go with the OD Clarity as am very impressed with it, and think it just has the slight edge over G6, and that's saying something!  Glass all cleaned, opted this time to use Obsessive Detail Clarity Rain Repellent on all glass bar windscreen. I tried this several months ago and it was brilliant glass sealant - excellent water repellency and it was effective for a long time. 

And onto the bodywork protection.  Been in two minds which Wax to use, was toss up between Obsessive Detail DBP carnauba wax, which having tried it on the bonnet a few weeks back has impressed.  But Swissvax has won out in the end.  I love the finish waxes with high carnauba content give and after the last few days effort think the car deserves it.  So I've opted for my Swissvax Best of Show this time.  It will be getting 2 coats, although might have to have plan B, as after first coat, am running low, but just might be enough for the second coat.  If not then Crystal Rock will step into the breach.

All wax up with first coat of Best of Show.

Swissvax waxes can be left for hours before buffing off, so it will be left on for a few hours and I'll buffed off after dinner.  Last thing tonight I will give the whole car a second coat, cover it with sheets and buff off first thing in the morning.  Then finish up with some Aerospace 303 on window rubbers, polish tailpipes and finally, dress the tyres.

And after that, the marquee will come down.  I'm going to miss it.  :cry:

« Last Edit: 16 April 2017, 17:00 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 16 April 2017, 18:15 »
The thing is.... After all that attention to detail you won't want to remove the scenes of crime tent  :whistle:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 16 April 2017, 18:59 »
Wow! One word; stunning.

I know what to aspire to when I next give my car the full detail treatment.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2017, 19:21 »
Stunning.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2017, 20:39 »

The thing is.... After all that attention to detail you won't want to remove the scenes of crime tent  :whistle:

I love the CSI tent, be sad to see it go.  Roll on autumn.  :laugh:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 16 April 2017, 20:41 »
Wow! One word; stunning.

Stunning.

Thanks very much.  It's getting there.  Got one coat of wax on, left it to haze for 4 hours (Swissvax waxes have a very long hazing time) then buffed off.  Final coat to go on in the morning, couple of other bits and bobs to do then that's it.  Who wants to place bets on how long before it rains once the tent is down.   :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 16 April 2017, 21:19 »
Wow! One word; stunning.

Stunning.

Thanks very much.  It's getting there.  Got one coat of wax on, left it to haze for 4 hours (Swissvax waxes have a very long hazing time) then buffed off.  Final coat to go on in the morning, couple of other bits and bobs to do then that's it.  Who wants to place bets on how long before it rains once the tent is down.   :grin:

10 minutes....Do I win a fiver ??
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA