Author Topic: My detailing marquee....and a spot of spring detailing!  (Read 16964 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: My detailing marquee....and a spot of detailing!
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2017, 22:19 »
Love it, I did think there was space to be filled in your detail shed :whistle:

Was already in there...... :laugh:

Got me  :angry:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2017, 22:21 »
OCD taken to a new level ..... :grin:
i'll drop my car off monday  :rolleyes
looking good  :wink:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2017, 23:51 »
Mental  :grin: :grin:

Makes your house look like something out of CSI  :laugh: :laugh:

Keeps the neighbours guessing.  :evil:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2017, 23:52 »
OCD taken to a new level ..... :grin:
i'll drop my car off monday  :rolleyes
looking good  :wink:

OCD?   You mean common sense.  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2017, 09:18 »
Great idea with the gazeebo we use to use ones very simular when we did our car shows mine an my mates car shared the gazeeb so as to showcase the lighting under the bonnet boot and interior lighting bling and dvd screens etc etc and I used a smaller one on the drivery for  the same reason Rebecca keeping car cool and dry while prepping lol well done  :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 15 April 2017, 22:07 »
Great idea with the gazeebo we use to use ones very simular when we did our car shows mine an my mates car shared the gazeeb so as to showcase the lighting under the bonnet boot and interior lighting bling and dvd screens etc etc and I used a smaller one on the drivery for  the same reason Rebecca keeping car cool and dry while prepping lol well done  :whistle:

TBH I don't know why I didn't get one sooner.  It's already paid dividends.  No dust this morning and safe from last nights rain, so I could get stuck straight into the next stage of detailing.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 15 April 2017, 22:27 »
After getting up a couple of times in the night to check the marquee and car were still on the driveway, big relief to look out of the window and see all was well this morning. And no dust!

All taped up ready for DA time.

Gear ready

Pad primed

2-stage polish (Meguiars DA Microfibre Correction System) 80% complete, just roof and boot to refine. Could have got away with single stage in some areas but for simplicity's sake, decided to go 2 stage on whole car, and because initerested to see if there are any paint levelling (on orange peel) benefits to this system as purported.

B pillars de-swirled!

More to come.

« Last Edit: 15 April 2017, 22:30 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2017, 22:48 »
Few more progress polishing pics...

Pads spurred regularly to prevent clagging

Getting there..

Few bits to further refine in the morning, then protection time.

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 15 April 2017, 22:49 »
Looking good Rebecca.

How are you finding the Meguiars Microfibre system? I've read some user reviews where they've said it's easy to use, the results are very good, but the main downside is the pads get clogged up with polish quite quickly. Will be interested to hear your thoughts, along with the obligatory pictures of one flawless, very shiny black R when you've finished  :smiley:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 16 April 2017, 08:56 »
Looking good Rebecca.

How are you finding the Meguiars Microfibre system? I've read some user reviews where they've said it's easy to use, the results are very good, but the main downside is the pads get clogged up with polish quite quickly. Will be interested to hear your thoughts, along with the obligatory pictures of one flawless, very shiny black R when you've finished  :smiley:

I think it's a great system, and much prefer it to my previous foam pads/polish set up.  It can be as simple as you want, or you can mix it up with other beloved polishes, so simple but versatile at the same time.  I won't go bad to foam pads now.  I really wanted to use it as it was designed this time round, - a 2-stage using both the D300 and D301.  And I was interested to see if there was any discernable effect on the orange peel, as it's ability to flatten paint has been documented.  I think there is a very subtle improvement - I did a close visual comparison of one polished door compared to unpolished adjacent door and looked a tad flatter to my eye  - don't think it's my imagination, lol.  The D301 finishing wax lays down a protective layer of wax but this will be panel wiped off today to make way for some Swisswax wax.

The cutting compound on the cutting pad is quite aggressive and may be too much for some softer paints, in which case you could use cutting compound on finishing pad, them move onto the finishing compound.  But I find DBP paint to be quite hard paint,  so it can take a reasonable amount of polishing, and 2-stage was fine on it.   On average I did 3 passes with the cutting pad/polish (speed 4 - moving DA slowly with moderate pressure for 2 passes and then lighter pressure for final pass) and same with the finishing pad and polish (speed 3 - faster pace but still moderate pressure).  Firstly, I tried a quarter of the bonnet with just the finishing pad and it was pretty decent result but there was room for improvement (imo) and so I did next section with cutting pad/D300 and then refined it with Finishing Pad and D301 to see difference and was sold, but it would also work very well using Meguiars 205 finishing polish too, and I'm going to test that on a couple panels today.  All in all it's a fantastic DA system, and I can recommend.

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual