Author Topic: NEWBY....on the way to buying a Mk4 Gti 1.8 (AGU) turbo, plus goodies  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Archaeologist Fella

• Not said much yet
Hi all,
I am new to the forum, although I am a member of many other forums (Volvo, Morris Minor, Mercedes, Ford etc).  This is hopefully my first GTi!  I saw a black Mk4 on the internet advertised for £800, but with a short MoT.  Having had nine owners I expected the car to be thoroughly worn out after 153k, but I was amazed when I saw how bright and clean the paintwork was.  The car drives superbly having being remapped up to circa 190bhp.  The car has had the following work done in the last twelve months:

Spark plugs
Coil packs
MAF sensor
Clutch
Gearbox (recon plus guarantee)
Water pump
Cam belt
Abs sensor (only replaced 1 which was bringing up fault light but have other three corners also)
Down pipe inc cat
Back box
Engine mount
Suspension (springs and shocks)
Full black leather interior (front seats heated)
All break pads recently changed
HID conversion
Kenwood KDC-BT73DAB head unit plus amp and sub in the boot. Headunit also connects with phone via Bluetooth and uses handsfree calling.
3 cv boots and both track rod ends for last mot.

I offered the guy £650 due to the short MoT, which he has accepted.  When I checked the oil, however, the dipstick was dry, and yet the light wasn't on the dash!  I checked underneath and the sump plug washer is leaking which he has agreed to address.  Car drives very tight on the road, comfy, not too hard, no rattles, knocks or bangs, maintains good temperature even after a hard thrashing for about a fifteen mile test drive.  Note sure how I upload pics for you though??  I don't know much about these cars price wise, or pitfalls etc, but this seems a good deal to me for a car that on the surface at least seems very straight and genuine indeed - the interior is amazing with the black leather out of a TDi. 
« Last Edit: 23 August 2016, 21:18 by Archaeologist Fella »

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Got to be worth more in parts at that price - Mk4's really have hit rock bottom!
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Archaeologist Fella

• Not said much yet
Got to be worth more in parts at that price - Mk4's really have hit rock bottom!

See my post on the 2.0 Mk4 GTi non-turbo I am buying - £700 with a recent new clutch, cam belt and £400 service.  Included is a stack of invoices that proves the car has been cosseted by its three owners.  And I knocked £60 off the asking price - what a cad!