Author Topic: New member, looking for a new Golf :)  (Read 1706 times)

Offline easyd

• Just got here
New member, looking for a new Golf :)
« on: 27 July 2016, 15:27 »
Hi everybody!

I am new to the forum although I' ve been a long time reader! I currently own an mk3 gti 16v, that i love, but i will be changing that in early 2017.

I will have a budget of 8500 but might be able to stretch it to 10k for the right car. So I am basically looking at the mk5 gti, the mk5 gti ed30 or an early mk6 gti. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks  :smiley:

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
Re: New member, looking for a new Golf :)
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2016, 05:56 »
You'll probably get more for your money for a mk5, with a not much older car, I wanted a mk6 as I prefer them, mk5 gtis are looking to be affordable cars now. I paid 12000 for my 59 plate mk6 back in October but I could have got a late 2008 early 2009 mk5 much cheaper simply because it was an earlier model,not because it's an older car.

If you do luck at early mk6 gti make sure there is proof that the cam chain issue has been sorted either with a new tensioner or had a new engine in with the new tensioner or use the fact that there is no evidence of this as a bargaining tool for a better price then get the new tensioner fitted asap.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline easyd

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2016, 13:22 »
 :smiley:
Thanks for the advise! I actually cannot wait to get my hands on a new car (either that may be the mk5 or the mk6). Still the budget is not clear so that will play the biggest part on my selection! To be honest i was looking at the mk5 first and had my eyes on some ed30s but then i started warming up a lot to the mk6s! As i understand the mk6 is almost an updated mk5 but is the extra money worth it? thats the biggest question! 

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2016, 13:42 »
It depends on how much extra money, mk5s now can be a lot cheaper than mk6s, you'll get more for your money with a mk5 but it will be older though potentially not much.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis