Author Topic: Gary_B - '87 mk2 16v  (Read 3078 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Gary_B - '87 mk2 16v
« on: 19 November 2007, 19:31 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Gary_B

• GTI forum regular
Re: Gary_B - '87 mk2 16v
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2007, 22:06 »
This is my '87 GTi Valver in Monza Blue. There is quite a bit of history with this car, as once upon a time it was in show condition, had and ICE install that would put other systems to shame (or so I've heard).

I have a full box of receipts, with well over £3-4ks worth of work on her.

We picked her up for a mere £250, of a guy who had bought her off the guy who done all the work on her (did you follow that?)

Unfortunately now, she is a non-runner. Below will explain why.

When we came into possession, the ICE system had been removed or as I like to say it 'torn out'.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some of you recognise the car.

(sorry for the **** pics, they were taken on my dusty phone camera)

This is the condition she was in :(

A Cat 1 alarm was installed complete with door poppers etc. They made a total dogs dinner of the wiring loom

I've removed the mess that is the interior loom and started stripping the interior dash, door cards, carpet, seats etc etc

The engine is in fairly good condition and was running about 6 months ago. So hopefully not much will be needed to get it running again.

Also needed is a new petrol tank as a scallys set a fire right next to the car (which had a full tank at the time), this softened the plastic tank causing the petrol to eat at the tank. So the petrol in the tank turned into a tar like substance.

I have just bought a complete pre 90 wiring loom for the Golf...so I'll be fitting that this weekend to try and get the engine to start.

Once I know shes a runner again, I'll be needing a new bonnet, new doors - as I want to get rid of the door poppers, so I'll have two completely smooth doors for sale soon. I need a full set of rainbow door cars for a 3 door.

The crazy 17"s will be going because quite frankly they're terrible! And they'll be getting replace with some 15"s.

Engine work will consist of complete removal and a good clean of the engine and engine bay. All reservoirs renewed. The list goes on..bumpers etc

I'll be putting more progress photos up this weekend.

Comments please :)

« Last Edit: 24 January 2008, 13:39 by Gary_B »

Offline Gary_B

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2008, 18:02 »
Just a small update -

I now have an empty car :) ready to refit....

Lots of cancer in the bonnet - strangely though, its only the bonnet and slam panel that has rust ?

I've started removing the old (raped) loom and labeling up the new one - which is taking the majority of my time.

But hopefully tomorrow, I'll have the rest out and labeled up ready to put back in.

Not much to say really, apart from my knuckles hurt from dragging them on every sharp object I come across in the engine bay :(

G

Offline Gary_B

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2008, 08:16 »
I finally worked up courage to phone the guy that had originally done all the work on the Golf. The only reason I thought it was okay to phone him was that it looked like he worked in a Garage as all the receipts were trade receipts. So I explained who I was and why I was phoning, and he seemed quite interested. (I’d been told not to bother by a few people as they thought I’d be impolite and just plain weird).

Anyway I’m glad I did because I found a lot out about the car, including RR results ;) Plus he said he’ll give me a copy of all the progress photos he took when he first built it 8 years ago!!

The work to the engine is as follows – rebore to 1875cc, all internals from a 2.0 Audi, hi lift cams, a rough port to the head (can some one explain this please? Why not a smooth? He said something about the cars not responding as well to a smooth finish??)

RR @ 184bhp :)

So as you can imagine I’m quite happy!
« Last Edit: 07 February 2008, 08:38 by Gary_B »