Author Topic: Fitting a 3-4 way Cigy power adapter  (Read 82911 times)

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Re: Fitting a 3-4 way Cigy power adapter
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2017, 11:45 »
But why go in to the engine bay, when there are several to choose from behind the glove box?

Easier access to the fuse box.  I have to say, putting the main fuse box behind the glove box, which you have to remove in order to change a fuse, is one of the stupidest design 'solutions" I've ever encountered.  The Mark 6 solution is so much better, with the fuses behind a removable panel on the end of the dash is so much better.

Oh well.  Removal of the glove box it is, then.

If you squeeze the sides of the glove box you can get it to drop forward exposing th fuse board in seconds. You don’t actually need to ‘remove’ anything.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 05 November 2017, 15:19 »
But why go in to the engine bay, when there are several to choose from behind the glove box?

Easier access to the fuse box.  I have to say, putting the main fuse box behind the glove box, which you have to remove in order to change a fuse, is one of the stupidest design 'solutions" I've ever encountered.  The Mark 6 solution is so much better, with the fuses behind a removable panel on the end of the dash is so much better.

Oh well.  Removal of the glove box it is, then.

If you squeeze the sides of the glove box you can get it to drop forward exposing th fuse board in seconds. You don’t actually need to ‘remove’ anything.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  I should have fitted the cameras a few weeks ago, when the weather was warmer.  Still.  I'll get it done asap and report back.  Might even take some photos!

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2017, 18:42 »
Progress has been made!  I have released the glovebox, and located one switched live and one permanent live fuse.

It's easier, or less difficult, to release the glovebox after driving the car with the heater on, as this makes the clips slightly more compliant.  They still don't give up without a fight, though.

I'll resume tomorrow, because I'm going to make an earth connection by drilling the strengthening strut at the end of the dashboard, having removed the trim panel (carefully, because it has the switch for disabling the passenger airbag mounted to it), but my rechargeable drill needed to be charged.  The mounting bolt for the fuse box would suffice as an earth point, but it's not easily accessible.

Tomorrow, then, I'll make the earth connection, route the cables (I may leave the rear camera for now) and tidy up the excess wiring, the plan being to strap it up using tie-wraps. 

More later.