Author Topic: GT TDI 140 head porosity issues??  (Read 4981 times)

Offline andyr

• GTI forum regular
GT TDI 140 head porosity issues??
« on: 03 February 2013, 16:09 »
Hi people, anyone here tell me if the 140 bhp tdi's suffer the same (fairly) common problem as the Audi's? ie head porosity in the BKD engines (I assume the Golf GT TDI had the same block?).
Having recently bought a 77k mls 54 plate A3 2.0L TDI sport for my son, during the first 2 1/2 months having to fill the coolant from min to max 4 times the dealer agreed it was a porous head and actually refunded our money minus a small amount for the (almost) 3 months of ownership! We had done our homework before buying the car and no mention of porous heads had cropped up (otherwise we would have steered well clear!) until I Googled 'Coolant loss A3 tdi' after our problem occurred and page upon page of head porosity appeared!
The problem pages on the Tyresmoke A3 forum are full of it wherever an unexplained coolant leak is posted, (unless it's the EGR cooler) but I don't see anywhere near as many complaints for the Golf... Unless I'm looking in the wrong place?!?
I've done a quick Google on the same subject for Golf GT TDI's and although a few 'porous' posts appeared, nothing like as many for the A3??
So what's going on then?? Same engine block but slightly different head's?? (I doubt it). I know Audi head serial No:- If it ends in A then expect trouble, B then it's 50/50, C seem to be fine...
We're now paranoid about any 03-06 140 tdi's, but 'the boy' would still love to own one! I can't see a dealer letting us pull off the engine cover to let us search for the serial No (altho' not sure where to look for it anyways!).
So if the Golf does have similar problems does anyone know what sort of year the 'uprated' C heads were fitted??

Have just read Defenders 'BKD-Worth repairing' thread so it must be an issue.... But is it as bad as Audi's???
« Last Edit: 03 February 2013, 16:50 by andyr »
Mk VI Black Pearl GTD.... No Frills, replaced a Black Pearl PD150 Bora, which in turn replaced a Dragon Green VR6 which followed a Dusty Mauve MK III 8v Gti.

Offline JimBR

• I live here
Re: GT TDI 140 head porosity issues??
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2013, 09:40 »
Why risk it? Get a nice 1.9 instead?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: GT TDI 140 head porosity issues??
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2013, 11:01 »
Why risk it? Get a nice 1.9 instead?

Cos they are sloooooow  :grin: :grin: