Author Topic: GT TDI 140 Vs 170 and their pro's and con's  (Read 19365 times)

Offline nadlad

• I live here
  • Building Surveyor MRICS
Re: GT TDI 140 Vs 170 and their pro's and con's
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2012, 09:24 »
ryso: good morning do the late 140s such as my 08 have the choccy turbos too  mines at 21k and sometimes i can hear the turbo owl after i take my foot off the accelerator only thing stoppng me from a remap

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2012, 09:31 »
ryso: good morning do the late 140s such as my 08 have the choccy turbos too  mines at 21k and sometimes i can hear the turbo owl after i take my foot off the accelerator only thing stoppng me from a remap

Nope  :smiley: Well they shouldn't be...... :lipsrsealed:
« Last Edit: 30 August 2012, 09:57 by Rhyso »

Offline les.tansey

• Here all the time
  • VW Golf R32 MK5 & Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI Estate
« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2012, 14:23 »
140 can feel punchier lower down the rev range helping it around town but the 170 isnt difficult to drive once you get used to it

Would you say a 170 would feel like it lags around town? I currently have a 1.6 CL mk3 which is obviously a petrol - how would a 170 compare to it around town for punchiness? I wouldn't need it to be rapid around town anyway as I'm not a fast driver, it's mainly economy, appearance and having the power there if I needed it that attracts me to the GT TDI MK5, but just to get an idea.

Very Early 140's had chocolate turbos so it might not be uncommon to find one thats had a replacement

Are the replacements okay then or are they just as dodgy? And when you say early 140's roughly what year are they okay after?

170 can suffer DPF issues and there is an official recall on the injectors

Can't you have the DPF's removed for around £400?  :lipsrsealed: And are they okay to run without them performance-wise. I've heard that they'll still pass an MoT.

Other than that the motors are very strong units

My advice is to go test drive both.  I did that and went for the 170 though I did come from a 170+ MK4 so that was a big deciding factor  :smiley:

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm clued up before I go rushing into anything. Thankyou for everyones feedback  :wink:

It can catch you out if you're in 2nd gear and need to pull off quickly but you soon adjust to it  :smiley:

The very early 2004 models were known for it; replacement units were and are much stronger

Would you say they are okay from 2005 onwards then?

Just removed mine  :tongue:  You need to have the car mapped to take out the DPF protocols otherwise you'll end up in limp mode all the time

So would the mapping of the car be included in the cost of removing the DPF then do you think? I suppose it depends where you go really. How much did you pay to have yours removed and mapped if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers  :wink:

(As above) Golf MK3 & genuine BBS RX 16"wheels, now for sale separately - Just ask for details - Thanks, Les

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2012, 14:43 »
They should be fine yeah

Not always so make sure whoever does it quotes for the map too.  Midland VW supplied and fitted the DPF pipe, Carbon did the mapping  :smiley:

Offline les.tansey

• Here all the time
  • VW Golf R32 MK5 & Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI Estate
« Reply #14 on: 30 August 2012, 23:23 »
They should be fine yeah

Not always so make sure whoever does it quotes for the map too.  Midland VW supplied and fitted the DPF pipe, Carbon did the mapping  :smiley:

Thanks for your advice Rhyso, definately have a clearer picture now. I guess the next step is a test drive/ getting the dosh together :smiley: Thanks again  :wink:

(As above) Golf MK3 & genuine BBS RX 16"wheels, now for sale separately - Just ask for details - Thanks, Les

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2012, 06:47 »
They should be fine yeah

Thanks for your advice Rhyso, definately have a clearer picture now. I guess the next step is a test drive/ getting the dosh together :smiley: Thanks again  :wink:

Not a problem  :smiley:  a test drive is the only way to find out which engine you prefer. The 140 is a cracking engine but I knew id miss the power of my old Golf. God knows what Ill replace the Audi with though  :grin:

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2012, 09:00 »
My dad has a the 140 bhp model his is a 55 plate and a  full R32 rep looks spot on.Recent remap and I was shocked when I drove it how quick it was his has done about 85k and its been spot on no issues since owning it if I had the money would be my next car.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2012, 09:02 by tdi_blu »
Golf Gti

Offline maxitrol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 03 September 2012, 00:24 »
the early 140 had poor turbos fitted as i went through 2 of them,the 140 had better turbos fitted after 2006,but most will have had new turbos by now..
If your doing a lot of miles get the 170 as the dpf wont get cloged up but if doing low mileage get the 140