Author Topic: Whats the correct part number for my ABS pump??  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Layfs

• Not said much yet
Whats the correct part number for my ABS pump??
« on: 14 March 2017, 09:30 »
So long story short, the ABS pump is dead on my 96 VR6.  Fair enough i thinks, i can find a second hand one online for £40 and away we go....but no!  It appears that potentially the ABS pump on my car is not the correct model.  This would make sense as this has been an ongoing issue for the few years I have owned the car after discovering the previous owner had unplugged the ABS warning light! 

This is a picture of the ABS pump on the vehicle currently;

However, the VIN code for the vehicle starts with WVWZZZ1HZVW meaning the correct part code for this vehicle should start with 1H2 rather than 1J0 which I'm lead to believe is for a MK4 car.

I have spoken to a number of people on facebook, from company's that offer repair services as well as the local stealers and have been given different advice and part numbers.  Before i go out and source a replacement unit it would be nice if i could get at least two people agreeing on the correct part :)

Options so far are;

Current pump on car                 1J0 614 417 A
VW Parts Suggested code       1J0 698 217 A
BB Reman                                1H2 614 217 C

Any help would be helpful.  If you need my reg number of VIN number i will happily pm it to anyone that asks.

The car is a 1996 MK3 VR6 Auto.  Not sure if this makes a difference.

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: Whats the correct part number for my ABS pump??
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2017, 14:33 »
My etka comes up with 3A0907379C (which is also 1H2614217C) for the ATE braked model "control unit for abs for vehicles with electronic differential lock -edl-"
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
Re: Whats the correct part number for my ABS pump??
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2017, 09:28 »
You are not the first person to be confused by this.
Your photo is the part number of the pump only, despite not being available as a separate units it can be seperated from the control unit.
The number you need to match is under the black box beneath the aluminium valve body -this I suspect is the one boneybradley has already posted. The reason I suspect this for this is the VR6 and ABF engined Mk3's had the same ABS system with a very basic traction control - Assume this is the "control unit for abs for vehicles with electronic differential lock -edl-"

What happens is within the black box, the terminals that the wheel sensors connect onto the solder weakens over time and cracks creating loss of signal -part of the problem is the really daft location it is placed to get baked by the downpipe.

They can be re-soldered, but the problem is getting into the black box, it is very difficult to do this without destroying the black case - ruining its water proofing.

A second hand unit may be OK, but you may find you may be in the same situation again, bare in mind due to the location it is a PITA to replace and requires a full system bleed.
If you are going to hold onto your Golf, I would make the investment now and opt to get your current pump rebuilt, you should not have any problem with BB Reman.

At least the previous owner un-plugged the light, most just wait till it burns out!