Author Topic: Excessive Road Noise...  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Jc8887

• Just got here
Excessive Road Noise...
« on: 13 October 2019, 21:02 »
Hello Folks,

Hoping some of you might be able to opine here....

I've come across a problem in my GTD where I hear a lot more road noise than usual when slowing to about 15-20mph.  This only happens at this speed, anything beneath and significantly over, I don't hear this. 

As of yesterday, this got a little stranger.....at 80mph, i could feel a lot more vibration feeding back through the steering and as well as through the base of the seat - nothing severe i might add but noticeable.  I'm sur you al agree that it's a damn smooth car therefore feedback through the seat was definitely weird.. I eased off straight away and within a mile the Tyre Pressure warning light triggered....for ALL wheels.  I checked the pressures this morning and there's no visible signs of damage/deflation.  At low speed (lower than the 20mph I mentioned earlier) the car is perfectly fine as it is between 30mph up to 80mph...

To add (not sure if this has a big impact) when changing the damaged tyre, I was told by the garage my front wheels were a bit misaligned as well - I kinda believe that as i know the wear is uneven across the front tyres (but also weary that this is just the garage trying to make more money outta me!)..

Has anyone any idea what this is??

Offline doberman19

• Not said much yet
Re: Excessive Road Noise...
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2019, 18:14 »
Hi Jc, I have suffered this in the past but was cured by replacing the tyres. The tyres that were on the wheels when I bought them were SP4,s and were down to about 3 or 4 mm and they had what I believe is called scalloping, if you run your hand along the tread, along the centre not across you will feel the unevenness of the tyre. It's not a fault, its the price we pay for the geometry of sport suspension. I found this out while researching for new tyres, and found some tyres are more suseptible to this issue. I'm not saying this is your problem but it's something to consider.

Offline Jc8887

• Just got here
Re: Excessive Road Noise...
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2019, 18:37 »
Interesting, thanks.

It's the second time my tyre are worn - first set the fronts were nearly smooth across yet didn't come across this kind of issue (just had wheel spin everywhere!).   So the solution may just to change them all?