Author Topic: It's Broken what can i do (Cheaply please)  (Read 512 times)

Offline Richdmt

• Not said much yet
It's Broken what can i do (Cheaply please)
« on: 16 May 2008, 18:08 »
Hi peeps,  Mk3 golf GTi v8 2.0
On the way to mork this morning the oil light came flashing on ( a while back i had a problem with my car stalling and after posting here i found out it was one of the breather hoses, changed that but broke the clip so had to use one you screw up to tighten.  Now my car has been leaking oil from there ever since but it's not been too much of a problem) I stopped at the first local garage and got some oil.  Filled up and then drove the 17 miles to work (very slowly as stuck behind a lorry doing 40 and now where to pass). On the way home tonight taking it easy for the first few miles through town, then got onto a decent road and put my foot down as usual in 2nd to overtake the car in front and only just got past him (the car not really pulling away).  Looked in my rear view mirror and the no cars behind me just a F***ing BIG smokey cloud!!!!  I then changed gears until i worked out what was going on. Basically no pull but once past 3000 rev in second i have a smoke screen to stop my enermies from chasing me.  on the way home took it easy in 5 doing 50 and the engine got to 118 (not normal for an 17 mile journey and only got 29mpg and usually at that speed 38-42mpg).  Have I over filled with oil and will it go away or what is the best option?

Please help, i love my golf but if it accelerates like a robin reliant towing a super tanker i will have to get rid

Cheers

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: It's Broken what can i do (Cheaply please)
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2008, 23:38 »
Best option ? Check the dipstick to see if you've over filled it. If you have then take some of it out by undoing the sump plug and putting something under it. You'll need to dispose of the oil environmentally though. :wink:  Or you could just bite the bullet and either do or get done a full oil and filter change. Having too much oil in there can be as bad as not having enough.
......now officially dubless.