Author Topic: electric window + mirror upgrade  (Read 524 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
electric window + mirror upgrade
« on: 27 March 2008, 20:30 »
i was thinking of converting all the manual stuff into electric. One reason is for ease, open a window the easy way. Also if an alarm was ever fitted, it can connected to windows. Also, I was looking at new seats and door cards (maybe leather but hard to find). I need new door cards and thought that it would be a good time to upgrade to electric (switches etc.) Money is always an issue though.

How easy/hard would it be to wire in electric windows? Can I use the existing mechanism (manual) or would it all need replacing? Also, I guess I would need the wiring with looms etc, so i can wire the drivers side to passenger and to power (iginition maybe??).

Universal kit (never really easy as they say, B***ards!) or get actual vw mk3 ones. I would only do front doors (got 4door) as it would be easier.

Any thoughts???? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
LL ;)

Offline Rmachines

• I live here
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: electric window + mirror upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2008, 00:42 »
you need the whole window regualtor and guide setup, Very easy to change but hard to get,  they are not cheep you need to make sure they cable isnt rustes else it will snap and you have no electric window, i was lucky and got mine for £3 at a scrap yard so look arround,   you need the door loom off an elec window doner car realy, it plugs into the multi connecter then to the dash loom,  then onto the fuse box,  you car may have that part so u need to add a fuse/relay then just switches and motors etc..  Not to hard realy.  Or you can make your very own loom from scratch and connect it to any live feed etc.. depends how good you are.
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: electric window + mirror upgrade
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2008, 22:10 »
cheers m8, will need to see look into more at a later date, would be a nice addition.
need to get coilovers and alloys first, ohh and a respray! and got loads of unfinished stuff, it keeps piling up!

cheers,

LL ;)