Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362776 times)

Offline andyt

• Just got here
Hi,
I had a warning light come on a few weeks ago when I started my gti, it was coming up for 45k mile service so I booked it straight in. The garage did the diagnosis pointing to timing chain/cams which led me to this forum. The result of the diagnosis is below:

"Your engine warning light was on the fault related to a timing chain fault, we carried out a full diagnostic test plan which involved checking of the timing, this was found to be incorrect we stripped the engine and inspected the cylinder head and timing chain, we found metal erosion marks on the camshafts and the bearings, we also found the strainer on the non-return valve has disintegrated and we are unable to locate the missing parts from the supporting bracket.

Due to this in our opinion a new engine required as the missing items could/have caused further internal damage to the engine."

VW are adamant they will not pay out. Can anyone advise if the above might be the result of the tensioner failing or if this is something completely unrelated?

thanks

ps. it's a Golf Mk6 GTI DSG 59 plate, 44k miles
« Last Edit: 05 June 2014, 18:33 by andyt »

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
@andyt

1. When did you buy the car?
2. From whom did you buy the car?
3. Is the car covered by the Das Welt warranty?
4.  Has the car always been serviced via a VAT reg'd garage and to manufacturer's schedules?
5.  What reason has VW given you for not paying out?

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Doesnt sound like the tensioner to me. Maybe a stretched chain and cam barring failure.
try the links to thw skoda site you may find they have suffered the same issues.
« Last Edit: 06 June 2014, 08:05 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline andyt

• Just got here
I bought the car last November from a private seller, no warranty but it has always been serviced by VW. They have mentioned it was 2 months late for one service and they don't know how the car has been driven etc.

I'm going to keep trying, sounds like it isn't the tensioner issue though.
thanks
Andy

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
Whatever it is, sounds like your best hope is for some form of Good will contribution from either a dealer or VW.  Good luck.

Offline JordBaber

• Not said much yet
Again my car is sounding like a diesel on start up with rattle for a second or 2. 33k 59.. I hope it's not too much to worry about as I don't have the spare money to change the tensioner or anything. Seems like I'm in a lose lose situation wish I never found this thread after reading it for the last hour or two. Let's hope she holds out as bought privately  :undecided:

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Again my car is sounding like a diesel on start up with rattle for a second or 2. 33k 59.. I hope it's not too much to worry about as I don't have the spare money to change the tensioner or anything. Seems like I'm in a lose lose situation wish I never found this thread after reading it for the last hour or two. Let's hope she holds out as bought privately  :undecided:

That is the worse decision you make make bro. DONT Wait it out. If it goes you may be stuck with a £2000 bill.

Listen to my original audio clip, and if its sound like you have chain slap for 1-4 seconds on cold start up then get it fixed now. £250 and you can rest at ease for the next 4 years
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline charlie

• I live here
As rocket says get it done before you have an even bigger bill :smiley:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline JordBaber

• Not said much yet
May have to cancel the holiday with the mrs then. Why 4 years? Is that the lasting rate of these new parts?

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
Spoke to previous owner of vehicle, 2009 59, complete engine replacement 2012.