Author Topic: "Best" dealership for an R420  (Read 12056 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: "Best" dealership for an R420
« Reply #20 on: 04 June 2015, 18:59 »
I have to think long and hard about what my next step is going to be. At present I am going to be away a lot of the time and don't really have the time or energy to start a process which might or might not allow me to change the car.

I love the way the R drives, love its looks and enjoy its many qualities, but it feels 'cheap' (and it is in my case due to the low monthlies) when I compare it to an S3 Sportback and to our BMW. A 2% increase in price is nothing and easily doable over an R, but the deal I got makes the difference between a reasonably specced S3 Sportback and my R much, much more: a difference of over £112 incl VAT per month, a 34% increase! It is for this reason I might just bite the bullet and stick with a brilliant but slightly flawed car which I got at a very low monthly cost and this tempers some of my irritations with the car. Perhaps I am expecting too much and am excessively fussy.

Anyway, worse things happen at sea!

Don't take this the wrong way Asker, but maybe constantly comparing it to other Audi's, BMW's etc is not helping matters, or you bonding with the R as such.

It's obvious that cars are an important part of your life (as for many on here) and it's natural to look at the competition.  There's a certain enjoyment in looking at, and test driving a host of other cars perhaps with one eye on what might be your next one, but it may be detracting from your enjoymennt of the R which you've only had a few months.

That said, if you really don't think it's the car for you and you can't live with it for 3 years, then maybe you should look at what's involved in changing.

I find that once I've made a decision about a car, (after a period of intense research), I tend to switch myself off from the temptations of the alternatives, until I'm getting towards changeover time.  Makes life easier and can enjoy the car for a few years without looking over my shoulder wondering 'if only...'.

But everybody is different   :smiley:
« Last Edit: 04 June 2015, 19:04 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 04 June 2015, 19:06 »
Oh and speaking of the R420 it has been spied being tested on the nurburgring.

http://youtu.be/5I65wSE_tm4

A lot of people are commenting that it sounds like a 5 cylinder but I think they're just being optimistic unless VW dropped the RS3 engine into the car which I doubt.
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 04 June 2015, 20:24 »
MH:
I much prefer the detailing on the Audi S3 Sportback. Nothing you say will convince me that the Golf is equivalent in fit and finish to the Audi. The S3 Sportback is a handsome car to these eyes. So we will always differ on this subject.

My R is a great car to drive and I cannot fault it in this respect. It does not rattle, rides and handles beautifully, the engine and DSG gear box are epic and all the other specced bells and whistles work seamlessly.

My one major gripe is the way the front passenger door hangs. It has really upset and annoyed me.There seems to be an obvious manufacturing/pressing/fitting fault with my car with this panel. There are some other issues but these can be easily sorted.

I now have to convince the Warranty Manger that I will not take NO for an answer. Unfortunately, he does not have an eye for detail. Nice enough chap but a bit inflexible. I will probably have to go over his head to get warranty work sanctioned.

There are other irritations like the cheap looking black rubber window strips and the paintwork showing on the door frames on the inside. These do not make the R a bad car, just a car with obvious cost cutting with a distinct lack of detailing on a car which sells at quite a high price. There are other fit issues on the inside that I have come across on most Golfs, but I won't bore you with these. I was aware of these foibles of variable build quality when I selected the R. So I went into the ownership experience with my eyes wide open. More fool me!

Let's see how things transpire in the next few days.

Booth11
Yes, I do like cars and love trying out different ones, time permitting. It's good clean fun.

I not only compare cars when there is a problem with my own, but because I am an insatiable car voyeur. I don't think there is anything amiss in that.

I must admit that moving from BMW to VW was not taken lightly. I had the pre-monition that I might end up slightly dissatisfied. Only slightly, mind you. I will also admit that the main reason I got the R was because it was a cheap lease. Perhaps I should accept that I have a very good cheap fast car with a few issues, accept these as a given and just enjoy the car.

Once I get over my initial disappointment on fit/finish and detailing, I think I will be able to live quite happily with the R for 3 years. I will attempt to provide it with just enough care but not TLC so that it does not look too shabby, drive it like I stole it and accept it for what it essentially is: just a VW and a Golf at that.

« Last Edit: 04 June 2015, 22:27 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 04 June 2015, 21:10 »
Asker, why would anyone be up in arms?  I don't think anyone on here is such an out and out fanboy as to wish to see someone stuck with a car they don't like.

Because, unfortunately, there are a few insidious characters around.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2015, 21:18 by am1w »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 04 June 2015, 22:26 »
Once I get over my initial disappointment on fit/finish and detailing, I think I will be able to live quite happily with the R for 3 years.

I hope you do get the door and other issues sorted to your satisfaction and can enjoy it for the next 3 years.

I'm sorry you think I am one of them.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 04 June 2015, 22:31 »
Once I get over my initial disappointment on fit/finish and detailing, I think I will be able to live quite happily with the R for 3 years.

I hope you do get the door and other issues sorted to your satisfaction and can enjoy it for the next 3 years.

I doubt it, but I'll have a go.

I'm sorry you think I am one of them.

Only sometimes.  :laugh:  :kiss:

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 04 June 2015, 23:35 »
As for 2% more than the R, I reckon that's about right.  I'll be happy with 10% discount, which I know from speaking to one or two brokers is do-able.  Asker - would 10% off ease your financial pain if you made the early swap as Booth suggests ??

Good luck with Braehead Audi. They just looked down their noses at me when I was looking at cars.
In fact their salesman had a look around and then whispered, try online as I should get it a lot cheaper there.
I was ready to buy and they just didn't want to know.

Hamilton Audi is opening in the next week or so. They might have some opening offers.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline sixlargebeers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 05 June 2015, 09:01 »
Thanks P3asa.  I didn't know about Hamilton Audi opening - might pay them a visit.  I have no expectation of getting anywhere close to 10% off from Braehead from what I have been told.  Pretty sure I will go with a broker.  Spoke to Jonathan Lawless at Carfile yesterday - they have been around for a long time and he (and his dad who started it) know their stuff.

I'll butt out now as I am in danger of being told to P*ss off to Audi Sport forum (gently I'm sure!)....

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 05 June 2015, 09:39 »
Asker, why would anyone be up in arms?  I don't think anyone on here is such an out and out fanboy as to wish to see someone stuck with a car they don't like.

I believe he's talking about me  :grin:  Just because I don't agree with 90% of what you say am1w doesn't make me insidious.  You're more than entitled to your opinion, in fact you provide me with great amusement with my morning cup of tea - the latest one being the R is cheap compared to the S3 - brilliant!  :grin:  Having been in both I'm struggle to understand what you mean, but like I say you're more than entitled to your opinoin, and that's what makes this forum such a great place  :smiley:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 05 June 2015, 12:04 »
I believe he's talking about me  :grin: 

That goes without saying  :grin:

Insidious is quite an unpleasant term. 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual