Author Topic: "Best" dealership for an R420  (Read 12057 times)

Offline sanderr2

• Just got here
"Best" dealership for an R420
« on: 03 June 2015, 14:17 »
Hi all,
I'm keen to get a place in the queue for the newly announced R420 by putting down a deposit now. I know some people think that putting hard cash down for something that isn't yet available is mad but I think it's going to be the only way to try and avoid a ridiculous wait when the car enters production. It was a risk that worked out very well for me when I ordered my Nissan GTR ahead of production.

I just wondered whether there was a "good" dealership to use? i.e. is there a well organised dealership that has a process in place? Is there a larger dealership which will have a bigger allocation of vehicles (in the case of the GTR, Middlehurst up in the North East seemed to get a significant proportion of the first GTRs).

My local dealer (Twickenham) wanted £1,000 which I'm guessing is pretty standard?

Any advice and guidance would be very gratefully received.
Thanks!
Rob

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
Re: "Best" dealership for an R420
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2015, 15:01 »
Hi Rob,

the Golf R420 hasnt been officially announced yet so dealership's shouldnt be taking deposits imo.
I have had my name down for the Golf R400/420 for quite sometime now and I am at the top of my dealerships list, didnt need to leave a deposit down as my dealership knows I am serious long-term VW customer.  :smiley:
Your best bet is to find the closest dealership and get your name on a list, or perhaps another dealership if you are unable to get the first position on the first allocation of cars.

I have also added the Golf GTI Edition 40 to the dealerships list in case Volkswagen don't make the R420 in 5 door guise.
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2015, 15:19 »
2014GTI totally agree with your approach, I cannot seen these being discounted that much and I think long term relationship does help and is my primary route, my dealer also does not want any cash. I do however, have a couple of other avenues

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2015, 15:27 »
West London VW is my Dealership and Twickenham is closely allied to them by coming under the West London VW umbrella. They are both part of the Inchcape Group.

Quite honestly I am rather surprised by the £1k deposit they want. They really should not be requesting this especially for a car that is not in production. Plus, do you really want to be an early adopter? It would be more sensible to wait until the inevitable problems are ironed out and also avoid paying a sky high price as an early adopter.

Finally, to answer your question. They are as good as any VW Dealership, perhaps a bit better which is not saying much as an outright recommendation.

Have you considered RS3? It is beautifully appointed and meticulously made, but overpriced just as the R400 will surely be.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2015, 15:37 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Damo66

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2015, 18:14 »
My dealer has stated I will get their allocated first vehicle, they think these will be a limited run. Discount is unknown yet but I am confident I will get some. When released I just need to confirm spec.
Beetle (1975)
MK2 Golf GTI 16V
MK3 Golf GTI
Corrado G60
MK3 VR6
Passat Sport PDI
MK4 Golf GTI PDI 150
MK5 GTDI 140
MK5 Golf GTI
MK6 Golf R
MK6 Golf GTD
MK6 Golf GTI Ed 35
Beetle Sport TDI
MK7 Golf GTD

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2015, 18:56 »
I wonder how much it will cost once properly specced.

An RS3 with decent options hits £50k and I don't think the R400 will be significantly cheaper. Hell, a Christmas Tree specced R is near £40k anyway.

£50k for an RS3 hatch? That's really crazy.
£50k for a Golf hatch? That's madness.
No thanks to both the above. I will look elsewhere.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2015, 19:02 »

An RS3 with decent options hits £50k and I don't think the R400 will be significantly cheaper. Hell, a Christmas Tree specced R is near £40k anyway.

BMW M2 is the other car to through in the mix

R400 will be best savoured by not going made on the spec sheet, keep it simple and pure I say

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 03 June 2015, 19:53 »
BMW M2 is the other car to through in the mix
R400 will be best savoured by not going made on the spec sheet, keep it simple and pure I say

Yes, M2 will be very nice.
And I also say, R400 with simple spec.
But who knows what will be available in 3 years that might be interesting.

For now, I really love the S3 Sportback in Misano Red and Sepang Blue.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2015, 20:51 by am1w »

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 June 2015, 22:09 »
£500-£1000 initial deposit is standard practice really.

We took our first deposit today to secure our first allocation if it becomes 100% official. That deposit has 100% guaranteed the first available order slot for him. I for 1 hope they build it and only let each dealer order 1/2 maximum so it truly will be limited and therefor will retain exclusivity and huge demand.

Get your money down because it will be refundable if the price is insane however I would not expect any discount if production is limited.
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2015, 12:59 »
Have you considered RS3? It is beautifully appointed and meticulously made, but overpriced just as the R400 will surely be.

Good shout, the 5 cylinder engine gives it usp too.