Author Topic: Boost guage  (Read 1878 times)

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
Boost guage
« on: 05 May 2008, 23:37 »
anyone got a rough guide how to fit one, i'v got a smoked auto-gage one with 3 wires out the back and im also not sure which is the vaccum pipe thing... :shocked:

Offline JOCKEY21

• Not said much yet
Re: Boost guage
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2008, 00:09 »
the pipe goes to the small 1 that come outta the dump valve should be a t-piece then the three wires u jus piggie back off of somethin else that comes on with you lights  :wink: then u can dim them as well

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2008, 10:40 »
ill have a go.... :undecided:

Offline 1688bran

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2008, 12:21 »

when u wire it up can u take some pic which wire connect to which cuz i need to wire mine as well ....

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2008, 23:13 »
its actually quite easy.......
mine is a smoked one so you cant see it at all without the lights on in the background so i just wired it up for constant illumination...
i'll try an take a pic but i've bracketed in the din plate an its a f**ker to get in tight so ill jus tell u what to do for now....
i assume from the guage you have a red, black and orange wire. i wired them up to my aftermarket head unit ISO connector, if you have a standard one i'm not too sure which colour wires you need, but i have wired the black from the guage to the black earth (naturally), the red from the guage to the yellow which is ignition battery.... not constant, and the orange to the orange with a white stripe which is the illumination cable for the head unit.  if like me you want the light to be on whenever the ignition is on im not sure the orange is important, but if you want it to come on whenever you have your headlight's on im not too sure how to wire it sorry... ill try to get a pic but hope this helps?

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2008, 18:35 »
ok i wasnt happy with the way the guage looked or sat in the dash, so i took it back out and started afresh, and i thought i'd give pics as a step by step to help anyone:

first thing i did, pretty obvious, spray the din plate,

i then drilled a hole in the passenger footwell next to my power cable for the vaccum tube (dont have a pic of this but i can get one if anyone wants??

then, feed the tube through the dash and out the din hole, and plug it in. then wire up the electronics.... the red cable goes to the yellow from the head unit ISO, the black goes to the black earth, and the orange to the orange with white stripe

note this is going to give you constant illumination, it will not come on and off with your headlights, only with your keys.....

hardest part was working out how to get the din plate to stay put, i came up with an idea which has worked really well but was hard to do lol.
i took this bracket which was left over from my air filter, and bent it into a U shape, and using self tapping screws (cpwboy i know :undecided:) i screwed it into the plastic sides

after alot of adjustments to the bractet, its location, and the location of the holes etc.. i managed to get the guage bolted to the bracket from underneath where the head unit was, and bolt everything into place.

next up was getting the head unit to go back in, which was no easy task as i had to unscrew the panel in the passenger footwell so that i could putt the iso lead down to clear room for the head unit to slide back. and after about an hours work, it all looks and fits brilliantly  :grin:

i just have to get my next two dials now, then i'll have soime fun trying to fit them in aswell   :embarassed: