Author Topic: Talk me into a Mk4! Newbie Information!  (Read 2111 times)

Offline ^Trickster^

• Just got here
Re: Talk me into a Mk4! Newbie Information!
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2006, 00:22 »
Any less spec on the tdi as opposed to the gti?

Graeme
MR2 Turbo - 361.2rwhp @ 6274 - 307.2ft/lb @ 5915 - Building a 600HP Engine.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2006, 07:47 »
not that i can think of mate.  make sure you go for the GT TDI's though; they're the ones that come with electric windows, aircon, etc etc.

then its a case of picking the engine.  later models (01 onwards i think  :undecided:) come with the 115, 130 and 150bhp engines and a 6 speed box.

Offline welshgar

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2006, 09:12 »
i wouldnt go for a 115 tdi if your looking for a decent power gain after mapping....

130 or 150 models are far more productive

i got a 110 early model... saving for some power, but its a daily driver (mainly the missus, so i dont want anything too powerful or she'll kill herself! ......... now theres a thought??!! :evil:...only kiddin)

Mk4 GT TDi::RS4's::weitec coilies::RCCR::polo mirrors::cream leather::
MK1 1.5 GL Auto restoration....coming along slowly :-(
its not the winning that gives me pleasure....its the taking apart

Offline paulm007

• Here all the time
  • On my orders, release Hell
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2006, 09:47 »
The 130 is a better all round car than the 150 tbh, the power is more usable.  I drive 50 miles a day in mine and average between 50 - 55 mpg (and I don't hang around :wink:)

You can also REVO the TDI for £400 plus VAT.  Brings BHP upto 170 BUT more importantly the torque rises from 229 to 280! :shocked:

http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=167

53 GT TDI 130 - Sold
07 GTI Ed30, 3dr, Black pearl now sold! :(

Offline steviem

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2006, 11:01 »
You shouldnt want to be talked into a car, you should already want the car and be asking what goes wrong with them and whats good about them. If you still want it after the opinions/experiences have been expressed, then good for you.

Dont want to end up with a dog that I have to do loads of work on just to keep road worthy haha

Realistically, mk4s aren't all that old, and unless you get an accident damaged one, then you wont be getting a dog...

Offline ^Trickster^

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2006, 22:23 »
Every car has its pros and cons, they all have things that go wrong, I am simply weighing up this car against others, this one does come out on top as far as I am concerned.

I dont mind doing basic repairs etc, but I dont have alot of time to devote to the car, alot of them are near 100k miles, im trying to find out what sort of things are going wrong, if anything is at this kind of milage. I am devoting alot of time to building one engine already, so basically I want something with decent power, plenty of spec and safe for my girlfriend to drive. But with potential for abit of easy tuning.

I think ill be going for a petrol engine rather than a diesel, I do not mind diesels at all, but im more at home with a petrol turbo engine.

Thanks for all the advice up to now.

Graeme
MR2 Turbo - 361.2rwhp @ 6274 - 307.2ft/lb @ 5915 - Building a 600HP Engine.