Author Topic: Rear Disc Conversion - 19/01/2011  (Read 46915 times)

Offline vixteris

• I live here
Rear Disc Conversion - 19/01/2011
« on: 14 April 2004, 00:24 »
my cab has drum brakes on the back wheels and i wondered if they could be easily changed over for discs???

has anyone done it and do all the mark 1's have them - even the later cabs??

----------------------------------------

SoundillusioN Link Update

HERE
« Last Edit: 19 January 2011, 09:09 by SoundillusioN »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re:drum brake conversion
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2004, 05:01 »
As far as I know, all the mk1's have rear drum brakes unless modded.

I'm going to change mine to discs, mainly because they look better. I have the discs and calipers from a mk2 and believe they are a straight swap. I think you need to use a different handbrake cable........one from a Scirocco if memory serves me correct.

Offline vixteris

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2004, 19:08 »
thanks rich - i only want to swap for the looks as well, finding a scirocco hand brake cable might be fun :D

old_boy

« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2004, 19:33 »
Hi Vix,
16v Scirocco handbrake cables are easily obtainable from VAG, last time i bought some they were about ?18 a piece.
if you didnt want to pay that you can shorten the golf handbrake guide tubes on your car and use MK2 cables, but i would'nt recommend this as its a pig of a job to reverse, other than that, its a straight forward bolt on job, but you need to make up something to hold the flexi hoses to the trailing arm-hope this helps. :)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2004, 10:41 »
Thanks for that info Jim. I'm going to copy this thread and add it to my growing list of 'useful technical posts', so if anyone else has anything to add I'd be very grateful. :)

I had a suspicion it was 16V Scirocco handbrake cables needed when I saw line 15 of the parts list at GPC:-

http://www.gpcvwaudi.com/golf1.htm

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2004, 10:47 »
If anybody does do this conversion, can they take some step by step photos as this is probaly a modification a lot of mk1 owners would like to do, me included.
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2004, 10:53 »
Good idea,
I'll do it after inters and VW Action Adam........full step by step by guide with pics ;)

old_boy

« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2004, 11:06 »
Some people have also reported that you need to grind a couple of mm's off the edge of the trailing arm to enable you to fit a bolt to the caliper carrier, but i have never come accross this problem, but it is quite tight!
Due to the cost of stub axles, most people use second hand parts, which is what i did on my first conversion, just make sure you dont get a slightly bent one (like i did- ::)) as this throws out your wheel geometry and you start getting strange tyre wear, this couldnt be seen upon fitting, but soon showed up when i had a computer 4 wheel line up thingy!

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2004, 11:24 »
I've got an F plate mk2 GTI that I was going to use as the donor car so should be cheap - cheap, just time and labour envolved......I hope.
Thanks again Jim. By the way, are you coming to any of the shows this year? Be good to see you and the family.........

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2004, 18:51 »
I think the hand brake cable part # is  533 609 721
Sirocco with rear disc's.
May look into doing this also as most of the other work is now done (and the brakes do seem a bit marginal :o)
Update....
Fitted the disks today, no problems. Have to find a way to secure the flexi to the rear arm, top carrier bolts ,as Jim said, can be close. Pedal seems a bit long, have bought a 16v m/cylinder (22mm) and will fit it over the week end and advise.
Steve.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2004, 23:50 by mk1 »