Author Topic: Moving from manual to automatic  (Read 7501 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Moving from manual to automatic
« Reply #40 on: 26 March 2019, 10:33 »
^ It's a bit early to bin my warranty yet, but something worth looking at later.

As for how it drives, it drives brilliantly, the lack of fully independent rear suspension doesn't hamper it's handling at all. It's handling is sharp, like a Golf GTI (The R is fast but doesn't feel sharp). The Polo GTI+ is comparable on standard equipment with the Golf GTI. When you can get a GTI+ with 18" Brescias for £20900 at broker rates vs a standard Golf GTI 5dr performance DSG for £26930 - that £6k extra doesn't buy you much more car.

The only non chrome switch in the car is the lighting dial switch, both come with 18" alloys in my comparison,

Only obvious scrimping is lack of rubberised plastic on top 3" of door cards vs Golf and interior rear door window assembly where it comes to a point is a large painted area that's begging for a piece of triangular trim to cover it.

The minimal weight differences demonstrate that the Polo is just as solid. Both have active info display (Polo has newer gen), Polo gets newer/bigger/higher resolution  media screen type. Both get auto lights/rear dimming mirror/auto wipers/LED headlights/ambient lighting/armrest/rear tinted glass/red calipers/ front and rear parking sensors/ACC. Polo gets keyless and basic DCC system in lieu of satnav and climate control. Not a lot between them - I do miss the "never need to touch it" e-handbrake on the Golf. There's a few other bits on either car I'll have forgotten. The polo engine retains MPI and the inlet end has the Audi valve lift tech for (slightly) better mpg. The Polo is 95% the size of a Golf inside.

Residuals (based on published GFV) anticipated to be slightly better than Golf GTI (50% at 3 years GFV).

Such a good car for the money, I'm buying one for the missus too (due to be built this week).

Polo got whipped by the GTI P though in the Carwow race!  :grin:
As did the CSS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OVr7eWSex8

:whistle:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 26 March 2019, 11:39 »
They didn't say whether they used launch control on the Polo, but without the Golf's LSD, I'd expect a bit of tramping - especially if they left the woeful Bridgestone Turanzas on, so glad I swapped out mine for PS4s. A second behind the leader in the drag race, not too shabby for the Polo.

As per Guzzle's ask: the Polo's ride and refinement are a little better than my R on Pretorias with DCC in normal - about the same as the R with DCC in Sport. Better than a GTD for all round driving dynamics.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2019, 11:43 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #42 on: 25 May 2019, 13:05 »
Decided to order the new R. Nothing wrong with the current R, just fancied a new color, a bit more tech and my first set of 19" wheels :) and of course my very first automatic/dsg!

Ordered Lapiz blue, Dynaudio and 19" Prets - Looking forward to a potential Mid Aug delivery.

Out of interest, what tyres do the 19" come with?
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #43 on: 25 May 2019, 13:20 »
Mine came with Pirelli P-Zero on 19s, albeit the GTI. Assume the R is the same but I’m not 100% certain. 
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

dervy

« Reply #44 on: 25 May 2019, 14:02 »
My 7.5 is 2 years old and has black Pretoria’s that came with continentals. It strikes me that you get what the factory has. Lapiz is a great colour, but a pain to keep swirl free.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 25 May 2019, 17:40 »
My R is on continentals too.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.