Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2810976 times)

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9710 on: 27 November 2019, 15:00 »
Well, I've FINALLY done it after a year's worth of researching. It's booked in with Rick at Unicorn at the start of the new year for a stage 1 engine + DSG remap.

I decided to go for stage 1 rather than stage 2 as I was concerned that adding a downpipe would ruin the overall refinement by adding extra noise, whether it would or not is another story but it's a risk I'd rather not take + not only that I've read that a downpipe, when added to the CSS exhaust, sounds awful. I'd much rather have ~ 25 bhp less and a drone free interior.

Next up on the list is going to be the Clubsport rear diffuser and the TCR spoiler. Just need a bit of sunshine now to get all the new bits fitted but something tells me we might be in for a bit of a wait...

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9711 on: 27 November 2019, 15:10 »
I’ve been for a passenger ride in a Unicorn modified car, lovely smooth delivery. Money well spent.
Stage 1 sensible on a FWD car on UK roads with UK weather. You’ll certainly not notice the 25bhp difference very often but will save a bucket load of cash.

I think it’s Maxton sell an add on to the standard CS rear diffuser that has a nice sculpted centre section. I was considering that for mine at one point. The standard CS one is a bit plain.

Edit, found it https://maxtondesign.eu/product-ger-7735-HECKANSATZ-VW-GOLF-Mk7-GTI-CLUBSPORT.html
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9712 on: 27 November 2019, 15:37 »
You're right about saving a bucket load of cash, I worked out it'd be roughly £1500 more to do stage 2 properly but that wasn't the issue for me. It was more about keeping the car the perfect all-rounder and by going stage 2 I think it would've upset the balance ever so slightly if that makes sense.

I'm not usually a fan of aftermarket splitters etc as I prefer to go down the OEM+ route when modding but I quite like that centre section by Maxton.

Glad to hear you've had experience of a Unicorn modded car, I'm sure I've made the right choice from reading the reviews they get.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9713 on: 27 November 2019, 20:09 »
Keeping that balance is vital on a daily driver.
You always have the option at a later date to go further than stage 1.

I’m very much an OEM+ person myself but spotted that diffuser section by chance and thought it was how it should have come from the factory.

Unicorn are/were massively popular over on VWROC and feedback always excellent. Good value too.
The owner of the car I was taken out in was delighted with the map.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #9714 on: 30 November 2019, 10:07 »
Recently bought the Autoglym Polar Wash and Polar Seal. Used it a couple of times now so thought I’d report my comprehensive findings.

1. The Wash is rubbish
2. The Seal is awesome.

Carry on
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9715 on: 30 November 2019, 10:38 »
Recently bought the Autoglym Polar Wash and Polar Seal. Used it a couple of times now so thought I’d report my comprehensive findings.

1. The Wash is rubbish
2. The Seal is awesome.

Carry on

I'd not heard of these, but have just had a look. They look really good!
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #9716 on: 30 November 2019, 16:09 »

1. The Wash is rubbish
2. The Seal is awesome.

Carry on

I'd not heard of these, but have just had a look. They look really good!

They’re both applied through a lance so I bought two extra lance bottles from eBay. Problem with the wash is it’s so thin and watery that by the time you come to use your wash pad there’s nothing really left. I used it as a prewash last time then used my normal shampoo and it was great. Just a stage you don’t need when you’ve already foamed. I’ll use it like this until it’s gone though.

The Seal is brilliant. Takes literally a few minutes to seal the entire car and it beads very very well indeed. Great results for no effort. Products are always on offer in Halfords too.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9717 on: 30 November 2019, 19:19 »
Think i will pick up some of the seal next time i'm going past Halfords.
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9718 on: 03 December 2019, 13:26 »
New tyres all around  :smiley:

Goodyear Eagle F1, not the best time of year to assess these though!

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #9719 on: 03 December 2019, 13:38 »
Had the low pressure warning come on telling me the nearside front was low, and sure enough it went from 38 psi 2 days ago to 30 psi this morning. Took it to my local tyre shop (that I trust) and after 30 minutes checking they found a small nail like metal piece right in the corner of the tread - a tyre that is with still 6.5mm of tread left  >:( >:(

So that was it tyre is toast as it couldn't be repaired where the nail was, and new Pirelli P-Zero fitted - not really what I wanted on the lead up to Christmas.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras