Author Topic: Mk4 GTI 1.8T - How to go about converting to a track day car?  (Read 14755 times)

Offline Procomp

• Not said much yet
Hi
I've inherited a low mileage 3dr 1.8T Mk4 golf GTi that I've looking to convert over time into a track day car, but that will also still be useable on the road.

I've done some racing and track days in the past with a 7 style kit car, so I'm ok with a set of spanners etc but I'm new to MK4's and I'm looking for either some previous threads or advice on what to do and where to start. 

Currently, my thought process is: -

Reliability - From racing, good prep is the key to successful being able to compete.  The car itself is a low milegage (67k) with good history, so I'm intending to go through with a complete a full service and also change the belts/tensioners.  Is there anything else I need to consider as well in your opinions?

Engine - I'll look at chipping the engine at a later date, as I think it's both good to see what you've got to start with and build your level's of performance as you go.  Also, if I get the braking/handling sorted first, I know this will give you both confidence, improved lap times anyway and a great basis for more bhp when you upgrade the engine!

Safety - Will look at a roll bar and seats belts, but not sure when best to fit these from.  I know you'd say straight away, and I should look really at doing this early in the project.  For track days, I'd like to know how much of a roll cage (full/part/door bars) people have fitted and also what belts and seats people have looked at using?

Brakes - What combinations work well, as I'd prefer to spend wisely here.  Also what else in the braking systems have people done to improve things here?

Suspension - Same again, what's good equipment to fit and what else should you looka at.....poly bushes, roll bars, etc?

Wheels - What size is best, what tyres work well on these cars?

Weight - I'll part strip the car but do intend to have some comforts (heating/aircon) and will look to retain the dash.  Understand the car won't be as light as it could, but for now I want to be able to drive it and it's as much about having fun overall as it is about good lap times plus I've done the competitive thing!

Systems - What have people done with Airbags, ABS systems??   Would imagine it's probably best to disable these?

Long thread I know, but I'd appreciate any help and advise on where to start so the money I have I use wisely.  Also if you think I've missed something out, please let me know as I'm hoping this thread would be looked at in the future by others, if people put down their own thoughts and experiences to help.

Thanks again
G :smiley:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Mk4 GTI 1.8T - How to go about converting to a track day car?
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2011, 13:19 »
Sell it and buy a ready-prepped Golf2 16v track car.  :grin:

It's lighter and will probably be more fun.

Unless, of course you're all about the spannering and 'the journey', in which case you'll know a lot about the way to go about this.

Sound deadening and clutter out.

Cage from Custom Cages or similar, with proper mounts on the sills welded and bolted in.

Harness bars supplied as an additional extra with the cage

Tubular mounts to fit shell-bucket seats and replace the existing OEM chairs

5/6 point harnesses on reinforced mounting points and the bars.

Or don't do any of the above and rely on the fact that the Golf4 shell's pretty damned strong.  You have to do all of the above, or none of it - you are unlikely to improve safety doing single bits of it.

Brake system - replace the fluid and start with new OEM discs and pads with fresh fluid.  Assess and improve from there.  Big step would be 312mm front set up, but with all the clutter removed you may not need them for some time.

Suspension on a 60k car should still be OK.  You might want to lower a bit, but I wouldn't go mad until/unless you really know what you want.  IIRC there's a rear ARB kit for the Golf4 which will help dial out some of the understeer.

Unless you're going 312mm brakes find out what the lightest 15" or 16" wheels are available for Golf4 and fit them as a  second set of wheels, with some track-biased tyres around them - ever-green R888s or another of that ilk will do you fine.

Definitely get the geometry checked and set up before you take it on track - tip ~2 degrees of negative camber on the front and see how the turn in improves.

As you've done some racing and track days you surely know a bit about car set up and what you like, so just feel the car out and make it fit what your expectations are to start.

Oh and go whore some threads about handling in the Golf4 section.... if there are any.  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Procomp

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2011, 14:07 »
DH
Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions of where to start!  You got me bang to rights as for me...........it is as much about the 'journey' as it is about the results :smiley:

I won't sell the car, as it was my mom's and she left it to me, so I want to do something fun with it, as she knew I loved track days in my se7en.  I was ok but never totally into the racing, so I think my mom's car as good basis and with some sensible upgrades, it could be fast enough to keep me smiling! 

MK2 are lighter and probably more fun etc, but I think if I do this over a period, with it properly sorted (brakes,handling, safety) and a few more horses under the bonnet (chipped'n' intercooled), I'm sure it could be a good ride!

Any other help along these lines from anyone else would still be welcome, but thanks for starting off the thread response mate!

Cheers
G

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2011, 23:36 »
DH has set you the right way... Take some weight off that lardy mk4  :grin:

A quick remap will be on top off my list as stock they are hugely underpowered IMO and when mapping is now around a competitive £200 is seems silly not too.

FMIC helps a lot as I found heatsoak to be a problem, handling wise there is plenty to do:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208043.new;topicseen#new

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2011, 11:51 »
To start off with get a 007p as the standard bosch item is plastic and prone to breaking..

The intercooler is in the wing drivers side.. so behind the intercooler cut some small but enough holes so the hot air can be released this is cheaper than a FMIC  :grin:

Next check over the whole cars PCV system and realise most are fubarded so replace with a suitable catch can which is cheaper as some hoses are £40 each ! and now you want have any mucky oily mess going back into your turbo  :wink:

Put a panel filter by pipercross or similar in the airbox just so it can breath better as all paper filters are very restrictive..

Give it a good full service like you said including belts.. This will give you a good base engine wise to start with as most of the problems you will run into have been sorted  :wink: Next go and get a Stage1 map no other mods are needed but it will take you to around 200bhp and then use that as your starting base as the standard 150bhp map will get you very frustrated very quick..

If you go somewhere like RTech tuning they can put map add on's for you aswell such as launch control.. Left foot braking as the standard ecu wont let you do this it cuts the power.. and full throttle gear change which will be ace on track..

Then i would start to do brakes and handling and safety  :smiley:
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2011, 12:30 »
Regarding the SMIC, the hole idea doesn't make much off a difference. The SMIC is fairly good stock, biggest bottle neck is the amount off air accessing the IC. Either it needs a bigger opening or an upgrade to a FMIC as this will have access to more air flow.

This was prooven in autospeed mag, on a 170pd as these are far more on boost than the petrol counterpart, the problem is with air entering the IC, not expelling it.

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2011, 21:13 »
i would invest most of your time/money making it handle better as they are pretty dire in this department tbh. deffo look into camber adjustment kits for the front and the biggest arb's available!

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2011, 15:37 »
You sure selling it isn't an option even if you put the money into something better for your purpose.

The PCV system will be leaking as well as boost leaks.

If I was after a reliable track car a mk4 golf 1.8T wouldn't be on my list.

Offline Procomp

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2011, 22:58 »
Like i said in the previous post, the car means a lot to me. I'm happy to upgrade the PCV, TIP fit an 007p forge valve and whatever else needs doing really to keep it reliable on top of the tuning/handling mods.  

Understand it may never be the best handling car out there, but I'm sure with some improved suspension, bigger ARB on the back, poly bushes throughout, a brakes upgrade to 312mm fronts and a re-map/intercooler, it'll keep me happy enough :smiley:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2011, 09:50 »
Understand it may never be the best handling car out there, but I'm sure with some improved suspension, bigger ARB on the back, poly bushes throughout, a brakes upgrade to 312mm fronts and a re-map/intercooler, it'll keep me happy enough :smiley:

Do cage/buckets/harnesses properly first.  Might help you avoid the reaper better.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.