Author Topic: catalytic converter help please !!!! now with update plz help  (Read 10729 times)

Offline vwkevgti

• GTI forum regular
can any one tell me how you can tell if the catalytic converter has gone

iam struggling to find a garage that knows what the hell there doing round here so far kwick sh!t have told me its bust and a tyre exhaust place have told me its fine and it was just a bolt that was left in the heat sheald that was making a noise so its been removed drove the car for 15 mins and the noise is back

i know that one of the exhaust rubbers has broken but it seams as no one wants to fix it i get fobbed off theres obviously no point in them fitting a £12 rubber and the guy at kwick sh!t said thats not causing the noise anyway but i cant rule that out till its sorted its the one with the centre beam across the width of the car so its not easy to get to  my car has been lowerd i can only just get my trolly jack under it so i dont fancy doing it on my back

heres some info
my cars fine on fuel
theres no fault codes ive scaned it
theres no lights come on the dash
theres no nasty smells

just need some help sheding some light on this problem as iam not having any luck with the so called professionals

« Last Edit: 08 May 2010, 20:23 by vwkevgti »

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
Re: catalytic converter help please !!!!
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2010, 09:00 »
can any one tell me how you can tell if the catalytic converter has gone

iam struggling to find a garage that knows what the hell there doing round here so far kwick sh!t have told me its bust and a tyre exhaust place have told me its fine and it was just a bolt that was left in the heat sheald that was making a noise so its been removed drove the car for 15 mins and the noise is back

i know that one of the exhaust rubbers has broken but it seams as no one wants to fix it i get fobbed off theres obviously no point in them fitting a £12 rubber and the guy at kwick sh!t said thats not causing the noise anyway but i cant rule that out till its sorted its the one with the centre beam across the width of the car so its not easy to get to  my car has been lowerd i can only just get my trolly jack under it so i dont fancy doing it on my back

heres some info
my cars fine on fuel
theres no fault codes ive scaned it
theres no lights come on the dash
theres no nasty smells

just need some help sheding some light on this problem as iam not having any luck with the so called professionals

From what your saying and you know an exhaust mounting rubber has gone/needs replacing then thats all it is you have removed the heatshield which fail for fun on the mounting points anyway and you have no symptoms of a failed cat i know when my cat failed there were fault codes from vag-com relating to the catalyst and other symptoms ie poor mpg and a nasty sulphur smell kwik fit are just sh!t and don't know what there on about
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline brendan

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2010, 09:06 »
When my cat went there where no fault codes, just a really loud ratteling snd loss of power.
2009 Ford Focus ST2 - 288bhp, 390lb/ft

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2010, 09:36 »
Get the emmissions test will soon tell you if it is working all ok.

Offline vwkevgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2010, 16:43 »
thanks for your help

just been back to the tyre exhaust place and they have now told me theres nothing wrong with the rubbers  :laugh: wheres kwick sh!t said both had snaped then they  orderd me some in and  recived one mk4 rubber and one mk3 rubber and said just one had snaped  :laugh: told them to leave it and get me car off the ramp  :evil:

the place where ive just been did give it a big push and pull and it wasnt making that much noise on the way home

one thing i do have with the car is a  boppy burble on the overrun and thats just normal driving its been there for ages could be the two 3" round tail pipes of the milltech  :laugh:

iam just gonner get some ramps and have look my self

kwick sh!t have all theses ads on the tv you"ll be amazed at what we can do ect and in the real world there sh!t and evey one know there sh!t

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2010, 18:49 »
I took a car to kwick fit years ago (When i was about 19) for a puncture - i came out with a list saying it needed new exhaust new rear shocks and front discs and pads.

Took it to my garage NOTHING wrong with any of it at all!  :shocked: Passed a few mots without touching any of the above  :rolleyes: Sales bonus...  :lipsrsealed:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Big Tone

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2010, 18:59 »
They completley F****D my old car... It died less than two days after a "full service", checked oil and there was not a drop in there, no leaks, no oil on driveway, pretty sure the drained it and did'n put any back in!

Kicked off big style!

****FOR SALE**** 11 Months MOT, 5 Months Tax - 1.8T AUM, Stage 1 map, Lowered 35mm on Jamex Springs, Smoothed Airbox, Pipercross Panel, Forge 007P, N249 Bypass, Silicon Breather Hoses,Silicon Vac Hoses, Top Mounts & Bushes All Round, Catch Can Install,  New Discs and Pads All Round, A Big Sub, A SH*TLOAD of Polishing and A Thirst For V-POWER! Profile/msg for info!

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2010, 19:07 »
D O D G Y

They told my mate he needed a new exhaust after he went in for a tyre.  He asked to see the offending pipe and it had a square hole in it like the shank of a screwdriver (which was sat there on top of the techs tool box).  He challenged the manager and got a new exhaust system out of them and a BIG apology. 

Seeya!

Build thread clicky

Offline snap-on

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2010, 21:05 »
as said get an emiisions test , that willl tell you ! ive just replaced the headgaskets on a subaru legacy which also has a rattle after its warmed up and been driven a while which is a rattly cat ! fine when cold but rattles when warm !!

Offline andybod

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2010, 20:41 »
i had the heat shields rattling on mine i just removed them i also had a slight rattle when i had some mates in the back i found that i was the exhaust touching the rear axle only noticed this when i had paasengers  so i just tweaked the exhaust ,if you are concerned that it is the cat jack the car up and on stands get underneath it and tap the cat with your hand  to see if it rattles (let the exhaust cool first)