Author Topic: FINISHED PICTURES UPLOADED!!!  (Read 12758 times)

Offline golfmk31993

• Here all the time
 :huh: :huh:

?
« Last Edit: 02 March 2008, 19:01 by golfmk31993 »

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
I have used p40 and it was fine as they dont flex that much...unless you hit ecerything then proper bumper (flexi) filler like the halfords kit is best and most modern primer will work on plastics as its synthetic based. Just remember to paint the full bumper or it will look patchy!

and clean them with thinners, dewaxer etc for best results as you need to remove all the waxes,traffic film etc
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
im gunna give it a go on saturday, im not gunna rub down the whole bumper im just gunna do it in sections because most of the bumper is fine,

will i have to lacker the sections that i paint??

a how to would be great

Best to do the whoel thing, sections will look patchy. Wont look as good.

Offline golfmk31993

• Here all the time
it just seems pointless doing the whole bumper as alot of the paintwork is fine,i bought the bumpers because they matched the colour of my car  i figure if i make sure i do sections right up to an edge it would look ok

Offline golfmk31993

• Here all the time
ok so im now thinkin about sanding and painting the whole bumper,

should i buy a sander/polisher from halfords like this one,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_232675_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_76862_crumb_33958_parentcategoryrn_76862

does anyone know if halfords power tools are any good, i figure its worth 19.99 as i can use it to polish my paintwork aswell

Offline golfmk31993

• Here all the time
went to halfords today, i decided against the bumper scuff repair kit

, instead i got some plastic bumper filler, some wet and dry sand paper packs, tornado red can of spray paint, and red plastic primer, im going to get started on the bumpers tomorow morning,

the plan is to sand the deep scratches smooth, filler them , sand them smooth again, primer them, lightly sand the primer again and then paint in thin layers,

anyything ive missed or any helpfull tips i should know??

Offline golfmk31993

• Here all the time
ive just sanded them with wet and dry, filered them, then sanded the filler with wet and dry, then cleaned them with terps wiped them down and primered them, so im waiting for the primer to dry   :smiley:

they lookin pretty good, like brand new bumpers, i decided to do the whole thing rather than bits so the paint wont look bodged, im just hoping that the paint will match the rest of the car ,its from halfords and its the same paint code as mine

just managed to take one picture and the battery on my camera went flat, il post some more up soon

let me know wot u think,
any painting tips apreciated, like wot should i use to clean the primered bumper before i paint it,   is turps ok or white spirit??

Offline vdub virgin

• GTI forum regular
  • If it aint broke....dont fix it!!
Re: LOOOOK I FIXED IT PICTURE UPLOADED!!!
« Reply #27 on: 02 March 2008, 20:14 »
jst use water,n sand the primer b4 u top coat it with wet n dry paper,keep it really wet n keep the paper clean all the time!!
n make sure every blemish,scratch n mark is fillerd n sanded,dont think "oh the top coat will cover it" cos it wont,itl show it up even more!
you probably noticed a couple more marks when you primered it,always show up!
its best to spend another hour or so puttin a bit more filler in n a quick blast of primer again rather than makin do wen uve got this far,otherwise the whole things bin a waste of time!lol!
lookin good thou!  :wink:

Offline vdub virgin

• GTI forum regular
  • If it aint broke....dont fix it!!
« Reply #28 on: 02 March 2008, 20:17 »
oh and dont spray the top coat outside or anywhere cold or damp,itl dry cloudy.......not good! :sad:

Offline golfmk31993

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 02 March 2008, 20:43 »
yer i did spend more time sanding it after i primered it, then i primered it again , it looks really smooth , theres a couple little blemishes inside were the grills go but they wont be seen because the grill will be in the way :smiley:

im gunna leave it to dry overnite and then tomorow when i get home from work im gunna spray the top coat, thanks for our advice about the extra sanding before top coat, ill make sure i do that,

im working in the roof of my garage and i got a fan heater up there, so it warm and not damp or cold, gotta nice little spray shop on the go :wink: :wink:

ill post some pictures when im done,

oh yeah when im finished doing the top coat should i lightly sand it with wet and dry and then polish it with t cut??? (just somthing i read somewere)
or should i just leave it and polish with my autoglym polish??