Author Topic: Mark 6 GTi-R or Audi S3  (Read 12478 times)

Offline wlscullion

• Not said much yet
Mark 6 GTi-R or Audi S3
« on: 10 December 2008, 00:11 »
Thinking of changing my current Mark 5 GTI in next 12 months or so. Had a test drive in Audi S3 and was impressed but disappointed it does not come with Audi equivalent of DSG. Would be very interested in reported new R version of Mark 6 Golf. Anyone have any info on this ? In particular I am wondering is 4 wheel drive system in Golf R32 is essentially similar to quattro system used by Audi or is it fundamentally different. If I understand things correctly Audi sytem sends power 60/40 to rear/front wheels until traction is lost then according to which wheels have best grip whereas VW system gives 100% to front wheels until traction is lost. Can anyone tell me if I am correct and is this likely to make a noticable difference to driving charecteristics

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: Mark 6 GTi-R or Audi S3
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2008, 09:05 »
Yes the 4wd system is the same haldex driven equipment as the S3, its more like 90/10 until it needs it though with a maximum of 50/50, and that isn't switched when traction is lost it kicks in when it senses a rotational difference of as little as 0.15 revolutions between front/rear which can occur on bends/corners when the front wheels still have full traction. Only the longitudinally engine mounted 4wd cars such as the passat 4mo and A4 quattro use a torsen differential based 4wd system which gives different handling characteristics. However there are only very limited details of the 'R' version of the mk6 golf. It will most likely share the same 265ps engine as the S3 but as yet I've seen NO concrete evidence to suggest it will be 4wd. Also the DSG version will probably be the new 7 speed version rather than the one you're used to.

To be honest I'm very much in the same boat as you, if neither the range topping Golf or Scirocco live up to my expectations I'll be visiting Audi. For your info the sportback S3 is available with DSG.

Offline wlscullion

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2008, 23:10 »
Thanks that is useful info , will await furter info on new Golf R

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2008, 14:26 »
I fear you may be waiting some time.

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2008, 18:48 »
^^wont be any news on this til they see how sales of the std GTI go i expect!

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2008, 20:07 »
Yes the 4wd system is the same haldex driven equipment as the S3, its more like 90/10 until it needs it though with a maximum of 50/50, and that isn't switched when traction is lost it kicks in when it senses a rotational difference of as little as 0.15 revolutions between front/rear which can occur on bends/corners when the front wheels still have full traction. Only the longitudinally engine mounted 4wd cars such as the passat 4mo and A4 quattro use a torsen differential based 4wd system which gives different handling characteristics. However there are only very limited details of the 'R' version of the mk6 golf. It will most likely share the same 265ps engine as the S3 but as yet I've seen NO concrete evidence to suggest it will be 4wd. Also the DSG version will probably be the new 7 speed version rather than the one you're used to.

To be honest I'm very much in the same boat as you, if neither the range topping Golf or Scirocco live up to my expectations I'll be visiting Audi. For your info the sportback S3 is available with DSG.

:huh: thats jibberish to me lol, im such a beginner

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2008, 17:30 »
Thinking of changing my current Mark 5 GTI in next 12 months or so. Had a test drive in Audi S3 and was impressed but disappointed it does not come with Audi equivalent of DSG.
Im sure i spotted 's tronic' on the configurator for the S3 yesterday? I could be wrong. I also think i spotted it in a advert for the S3 in a recent weekly motoring mag.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2008, 09:43 »
S3 came with the 'S-Tronic' (DSG) option as of 1st October this year. Its a 7 speed one at that.

http://luxvelocity.typepad.com/luxvelocity/2008/09/audi-s3-gets-s.html

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #8 on: 27 December 2008, 13:10 »
As above, it got added for the 2009 model with the release of the Sportback S3....  :smiley:
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline smbVW

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 27 December 2008, 14:37 »
FYI, both S3 and Sportback S3 are available with S-Tronic though i don't know whether it is the original 6-speed or new 7-speed...I suspect the former as I understand that the 7 speed isn't capable of coping with high torque and power as yet...still in design stages!

EDIT: latest brochure confirms it is the 6-speed S-Tronic on the S3...
« Last Edit: 27 December 2008, 14:43 by smbVW »