Author Topic: boot install  (Read 1395 times)

Offline 10:27

• Here all the time
boot install
« on: 13 March 2005, 12:39 »
i want to do a boot install for a mk 1 cab dont surpose you have any ideas about doing one?

Offline Flidster_uk

• Not said much yet
Re: boot install
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2005, 13:43 »
depends on how much you want to spend and how much you like your music. I wanted a basic install using the panels already in the car as i didnt want to add loads of weight with mdf and still wanted the boot. In the boot i took off the rear side card that covers the roof mechanism used as a template and created a stronger one trimmed in black to match the original this houses a 500 watt kenwood 4 channel amp and is kept in place by the original clips. the right handside sits a 4inch bose sub with an internal amp at 150 watts. The floor carpet was taken out and a mk2 carpet retrimmed to suit as this is heavier pile carpet better and reinforced underneath better sound proofing. The shelf was taken out gutted and remade using plywood, sealed recovered in the same carpet and trimmed underneath in sound proof material. the boot hatch was internally sprayed with waxoil to reduce the drumming effect on the metal and the square holes in the door skin blocked off. Number plate remounted on rubber washes to stop it shaking. You can enclose the whole boot off and set some 10 inch subs in there, do a search on google for golf cab i am sure there is a green one on there with a step by step of how to fit in a sub in the spare wheel section.
1990 CAB GTI Saphire Met. / 1994 Ice grey violet VR6 Corrado
account.<br />http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/18662/cab.jpg

Offline richard ellison

• I live here
  • Mk1 Cab 'Gertrude'
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2005, 13:59 »
mate all you need is high quality tweeters in the front, sub and amp in the boot. Thats what ive done, you can hear it roof up or down and to a good quality too.

6x9s are a bit of a nightmare- adam b has them but i think had to link up another amp to get them powerful enough so they could be hear when the roof was down on the parcel shelf.

Offline 10:27

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2005, 15:08 »
cheers for the advise guys i have to vibe amps and a vibe sub! i also have the rivage interior now so i have 10cm fronts now wondering what speakers to go for the front? i have 6xv4 for the rear door cards which are infinity which sound crisp i doubt i will get 6x9 as i want a good system but without having to many speakers! ps what tweeters are good as i have pioneers from my last car but they are pretty crap!

Offline Flidster_uk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2005, 15:22 »
jbls component sets fit good in the front and they have a plus one meaning a slighter larger diameter at the front than similar speakers, the crossovers hide behind the front quarter panel behind the door card and the tweeters are a direct replacement for the sqaure ones you have. Using a stanley knife take off the grill on the old vw tweeter cover it will reveal another plastic surround which has the crap tweeter on the otherside there is a grooved circle where the grill pushed into if you cut this through so that the whole circle drops through your left with a sqaure surround and a round circle, the jbl tweeters are the same diameter and will fit straight in and retain the sqaure fitment and shape and still look standard. Kenwood tweeters i found really good trouble is they dont fit the standard kit JBL seem to be the only ones that can be adapted.
1990 CAB GTI Saphire Met. / 1994 Ice grey violet VR6 Corrado
account.<br />http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/18662/cab.jpg