Author Topic: coilover suspension which one?  (Read 3863 times)

Offline 10:27

• Here all the time
coilover suspension which one?
« on: 17 February 2005, 16:18 »
hi just a quick question i need to replace the two rear shocks so decided to get a new kit and replace all four! what kit would you go for i only wanna spend about 400 max including fitting maybe a little bit more! looking for mayb e 30mm drop buti wanna be able to drive the car with people in the back without the wheels rubbing on the outer arch all help will be apreciated  :laugh:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: coilover suspension which one?
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2005, 08:31 »
Any reason why you are going for coilovers ? Why not go for what most think is a good setup of Koni shocks and Eibach springs ? Be about the budget you are talking about.  :undecided:

I just had mine lowered with the Streetline kit from Euro Car Parts, only cost me ?135 for Ventura springs and Bilstein gas shocks plus about ?80 labour, depends what you are wanting to put the shocks on for, is it for the ride, the comfort, sportiness or just the drop.  :undecided: Although for mine I can't say if the wheels rub yet as I've not had people in the back but it should be ok.

......now officially dubless.

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2005, 19:38 »
i didnt really think of it like that! sounds like you got a good deal! where did you get it done? im not really bothered about the drop the rear just need replacing so i thought i would treat my self to new shocks! cheers for the information jeff :smiley:

Offline richard ellison

• I live here
  • Mk1 Cab 'Gertrude'
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2005, 20:32 »
decent coilovers start from around 475 quid..... plus about 100 fitting...

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2005, 08:32 »
i didnt really think of it like that! sounds like you got a good deal! where did you get it done? im not really bothered about the drop the rear just need replacing so i thought i would treat my self to new shocks! cheers for the information jeff :smiley:

Got the streetline kit from Euro Car Parts, they consist of four bilstein shocks and four ventura springs, you can get Stuart at ECP to deliver to you if you go to the deals and discount section on this site and the ?135 includes the 10% discount that he gives people on this site. I just got a local garage to fit them for me and they charged ?80 labour. Unless you want to go racing round a track then for the money I think that this is good value, I was going to go for the Koni shocks and Eibach springs combo but for what I use the car for I didn't think it was worth it. 
......now officially dubless.

Offline richard ellison

• I live here
  • Mk1 Cab 'Gertrude'
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2005, 11:25 »
Theres a set of good coilovers in the for sale section, but a bit pricy.

Worth the investment if you may change wheels etc in the future...

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2005, 18:48 »
ok i am playing change the wheels to bbs split rims in the summer! why would it be coil overs be better than shocks and springs! cheers jeff :smiley:

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2005, 17:46 »
got a full bilstein kit on mine! it rocks, not too hard! mine is 30mm drop! cost 320 fitted at demon tweeks! they did a good job! rob
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Mixmasta

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2005, 12:17 »
Agreed, I think that the Bilstein ones are pretty good.....defo for the money. I have just put some FK coilovers on mine courtesy of Awesome Gti, cost ?550 + ?150 for fitting. I replaced these as the Bilstein ones did make the rear wheels rub the arch when two or more were in the car (only on the extreme edge of the tyre) :cry: and i'm only running 8" wheels on the back. But if you are interested in a budget drop which does not ruin your ride and doesn't catch if you don't have wide wheels on the back, the Bilstein ones are OK (and pretty cheap - ?200 for the kit).  Unsure whether you'll be interested but I have the Bilsteins which were taken off my cab in the garage at the mo, Awesome told me they were worth keeping?

Good luck

Mix

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2005, 14:06 »
im running on 195/50 which are fairly wide all the way round? i will prob buy new ones as im treating myself