Author Topic: Bluetooth retrofit or all out new head unit???  (Read 1747 times)

Offline mrred32

• Not said much yet
Bluetooth retrofit or all out new head unit???
« on: 25 November 2016, 08:01 »
So that time of year again and people are asking what I want for Christmas and I was thinking, you know what...I finally want Bluetooth in my car. Just get it done and stream and make calls to my heart's content.

Here comes the dilemma, do I buy the kit and retrofit it? (might try and see if someone out there can fit it/code it for me as I don't have vagcom) or do I purchase one of these android Chinese HU with all the bells and whistles? - Bluetooth, satnav, reversing camera etc.

Theres about £100 difference between the kit and a head unit. Has anyone had experience with these erisin/eonon/pumpkin HUs and are they worth considering?

I have rcd510 at the moment with DAB. Does anyone know how well the HUs integrate with the steering controls and if the DAB aerial already in will work?

Thanks,

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
Re: Bluetooth retrofit or all out new head unit???
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2016, 08:02 »
I've no experience of the non-VW head units but for me I'd be tempted to keep the existing head unit and add the Bluetooth unit. It's a box that sits under your seat or (as in my case) installed behind the stereo unit.

If you want it to control your phone you will also need to wire in a microphone either to the A pillar or for the fully integrated look, into the central light unit above the dash.

It's not that hard to install and there is a guide on here which is what I used. Finally,factor in c.£10 to get itcoded and away you go!!!

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2016, 16:32 »
I changed mine for a Kenwood unit (especially for VAG). It's good but did cost £1k
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline dest

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2016, 23:15 »
I recently retrofitted bluetooth to ours and upgraded the RNS510 firmware too.
We went from a basic RNS510 to streaming music via bluetooth with full control via the steering wheel and head unit along with all info on the MFD. I went for the factory install with mic in the centre roof light.
I've just got to sort the wiring for voice commands now.
All coded with VCDS pretty easily