Author Topic: DTD vs Local Dealer - Need Opinions  (Read 4911 times)

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
DTD vs Local Dealer - Need Opinions
« on: 22 February 2017, 13:34 »
I'll be pre-ordering a facelift Golf GTI within the next few days and I have received offers from Drive the Deal and my local dealership.

Would you order from a local dealership 10 miles away for £500 more or order from a dealership (through DTD) 250 miles away and save £500?

Part of me would like to save £500 but then I would like to order locally, I need opinions please! :smiley:

Offline falconmick

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf MK7 R
Re: DTD vs Local Dealer - Need Opinions
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2017, 14:51 »
No brainer, save £500. Business is business and there's no sentiment or favours once you have bought the car. Look how many complaints owners have and dealerships & VW wash their hands. Save yer hard earned, you can always use the nearest one for servicing. Have you also tried Carwow and 'new car discounts'?

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2017, 15:00 »
Its a tossup go 1000 miles round trip to collect the car or get it trailered to you at £ cost ,If you factor in Bus or train and taxi charges the saving will be less .
Or go 20 miles collect car and when its delivered to the garage you can go see it before collectionif you want and check it thoroughly . and be home in time for T.but then you wont have hada good day travelling in your new car.
I would go back to garage and try for some freebies to pffset the cost or haggle a bit more .
I would go to my local garage if £500 was the difference as I have had great service from them .

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2017, 15:14 »
Thanks for your reply, I have tried Carwow but they were a grand more expensive and I have been put off by new-car-discounts because they are selling pre reg cars bought through their business and I'd then be the second owner.

I feel like I have got as much discount as possible off of my local dealer but I could try and get him to throw in free servicing which could sweeten up the deal a bit.

In real terms the cost saving would be more like £400, I just can't decide if it's worth it or not.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2017, 15:48 »
What if you just put it to your local dealer?
"I would love to order this right now but 500 quid is 500 quid so can you match it?"

Is the cheap option somewhere decent to make a weekend of it?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2017, 16:04 »
It's definitely worth an ask, I'll get in touch with him tomorrow and see what he can do.

It's in Kent so a weekend down there could be a possibility  :grin:

When picking up a factory order car is there likely to be any issues?

Edit: Factoring in train tickets (£180 one way for two of us!) and a return tank of fuel I am leaning towards buying locally. Even if the dealer can't budge on price he could tempt me with some free GTI car mats. I'll see if I can work my magic tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2017, 17:55 by hog_hedge »

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2017, 10:30 »
Good luck with getting a better deal .
Let us know how you get on .

Offline falconmick

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf MK7 R
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2017, 10:34 »
Hog hedge where are you located?

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2017, 11:53 »
I ended up buying from my local for just over 10% off list (14% inc VW contribution) and free GTI car mats so I'm happy.

I'm from Stoke Mick, why do you ask?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2017, 13:43 »
Mats
Flaps
Fuel

Or perhaps a few trinkets from the GTI accessory catalogue  :wink:

Just avoid the dealer prepped Autoglym (or whatever) Lifeshine package!!