Author Topic: Do I need specific glass to replace the missing glass in my heated wing mirrors?  (Read 5037 times)

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
That will definitely be why then. I always leave it on and forget to turn it off! It does actually say on the fuel consumption usage that when it is on it is using more fuel, but there is no obvious place to tell you that they are left on. I'll remember to turn it off asap next time haha.. Cheers!

The issue of the door mirror glass falling out does seem to be quite common - it gets quite a few mentions on various VW forums. A few people who’ve experienced this leave their rotary mirror adjustment knob on the ‘heating’ setting all the time. I don’t know if the heating automatically switches off after x minutes, but if it doesn’t, then for anyone who does leave the adjustment knob in the ‘heating’ position, continuous heating of the mirror glass might degrade the adhesive on the fixing pads over time.

IMHO the VW door mirror heating function is a poor design. Non-VW’s that I’ve owned in the past have had a warning light that illuminates when the heating function is being used, acting as a reminder to switch off the heating when the mirrors have cleared.
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Do they not turn themselves off after a set period of time?

They used to my old Mk5, the rear heated screen & heated seats went off after ten minutes and I often had to 're-activate' the heated mirrors if I drove through a pocket of fog/ice.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here

They used to my old Mk5, the rear heated screen & heated seats went off after ten minutes and I often had to 're-activate' the heated mirrors if I drove through a pocket of fog/ice.

I’m not sure, that’s why I said in my previous post ‘I don’t know if the heating automatically switches off after x minutes, but if it doesn’t.........................continuous heating of the mirror glass might degrade the adhesive on the fixing pads over time’.

Age-related degrading of the adhesive pads is probably also a contributory factor to these mirrors falling out.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
Every morning about 15-20 minutes into my drive I am turning my heated seats down, so they defo aren't turning off that quickly and I can't think of a time where they turn themselves down. Maybe it is the same as the mirrors.

GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
That's a bugbear of mine too, I keep forgetting to turn off and turn back to Left Mirror for reverse dipping...another grumble lol

My Dad's old Citroen (V plate) used to just dip the mirrors and my old Honda (06 plate) heated mirrors were great.  If outside temp was 3c or below the heated rear window would come on automatically as well as heated door mirrors and after 10 mins go off.  If I turn on the back window manually, same again!  Can't believe in a modern car that's not automatic!  Can't have everything I guess but something that uses fuel, all be it tiny amount, you'd think it would do that right!
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
Yes, especially from a German car company. You would expect more haha

That's a bugbear of mine too, I keep forgetting to turn off and turn back to Left Mirror for reverse dipping...another grumble lol

My Dad's old Citroen (V plate) used to just dip the mirrors and my old Honda (06 plate) heated mirrors were great.  If outside temp was 3c or below the heated rear window would come on automatically as well as heated door mirrors and after 10 mins go off.  If I turn on the back window manually, same again!  Can't believe in a modern car that's not automatic!  Can't have everything I guess but something that uses fuel, all be it tiny amount, you'd think it would do that right!
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
The new glass that was £23 from parkers works fine! Heats up just as much as the other side where the genuine plate is. Although I have stuck it on slightly differently wonky to the other side and that is gunna bug the sh!t out of me forever or until it falls off again!
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
My drivers side mirror decided to fly off half way down the A1 the other day.

Bought a complete replacement off eBay for £15. Works great, has blind spot and heating.

Offline willni

• I live here
Does no one else leave the mirror adjuster in L for the reverse dipping?

I often thought that the people that leave the mirror heating on were the ones that experience the mirror falling out. You could pull the mirror out and run a small bead of superglue or epoxy adhesive round the outside to help keep it in place (run a razor blade over the surface after to remove any that ends up on the glass), but if it's already falling out fire it in between the two, it'll never be that thick to impact heat transfer.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
Does no one else leave the mirror adjuster in L for the reverse dipping?

I often thought that the people that leave the mirror heating on were the ones that experience the mirror falling out. You could pull the mirror out and run a small bead of superglue or epoxy adhesive round the outside to help keep it in place (run a razor blade over the surface after to remove any that ends up on the glass), but if it's already falling out fire it in between the two, it'll never be that thick to impact heat transfer.

I do but sometimes I’d rather not have it dip so move out but generally in L position.
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1