Author Topic: Golf MK 3 high intermittent revving problem  (Read 1935 times)

Offline pnuk

• Just got here
Golf MK 3 high intermittent revving problem
« on: 09 July 2009, 21:09 »
Evening all
Apologies for my first post being a question. But anyway... Hello! and thanks very much in advance...

My dads Mk 3 Golf hasn’t been serviced in a couple of years sio bought a Haynes manual and thought I would do a few of the easier jobs.
Drained the engine oil and replaced the filter all fine.

Replaced pollen filter (I think you’ll agree I was stretching myself here)

Replaced the air filter
The air filter was slightly different than described in the Haynes. Rather than a clip-off cover there were actually screws to remove, some of which held the lid to replace the filter which I duly did (circular filter which squashed to fit the oval filter housing) and some which anchored the whole housing to the top of the engine (took these out to lift it out to have a look at connectors etc underneath. Spark plugs and throttle cable were underneath.
Replaced all and screwed in screws. One of those holding the lid in place had to be drilled out as someone had destroyed the top of it but the lid seems to be tight on without it.

I drove it around the block a few times after doing all this and all was well.

However, since then my dad has found its been revving oddly.
I went to have a look at it and its idling at around 1000RPM (seems a bit high but he doesn’t remember whats normal) but after idling for a bit it pulses up to 1700 RPM for a few seconds then back down to 1000. does this intermittently and it has been happening when he’s driving.

As the throttle cable was underneath the air box I took it off again and replaced it making sure it didn’t seem to be fouling anything and took it for a drive. It seemed fine but he just called me to say it happened again when he drove it last night.

Any ideas?
Had the MAF sensor suggested but I dont know where to find it. I have attached photos in case it helps. Thanks again.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

locin78

Re: Golf MK 3 high intermittent revving problem
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2009, 21:31 »
the maf sensor is conected to the air box unplug it and see if it work's better with out it  if it does then that may be ur prob try and find a second hand one as they are not cheap about £150 from euro ca parts and £90 at VW exchange .Look in your haynes manual it will show you what it should look like.

good luck nic

Offline pnuk

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2009, 10:22 »
Thanks Nic but not sure which is the sensor. Any chance you could indicate more precisely or on the pics? Sorry, numpty I know but just not sure. Cheers

Offline pnuk

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2009, 15:43 »
bump  :smiley:

locin78

« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2009, 17:45 »
Sorry for the late reply, a abit of a novice on ths site lol but ill do my best to explain , ok on your air box near the filter end not on the air box its self just off it there should be black square shape with a wire runnig of it that is your maf sensor . if you hvean hynes manual it will show you in there

Offline Amzy-Bear

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2009, 18:27 »
i had this kind of problem before and i took it to a garage and they put it on the machine and they said the 'throttle body' was dodgy, i never bothered sorting it but i gave it a good clean and seemed to be fine.
Worth having a look at it. give it a good wipe and a bit of WD-40.
:D