Author Topic: What Amp Is Good Enough?  (Read 3845 times)

Offline B-chi

• I live here
Re: What Amp Is Good Enough?
« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2010, 23:27 »

do you think 2 of them would throw off enough bass? :)
[/quote]

I'm running a single 18" off 3,500wrms and it's not loud enough for me!

Offline Original_Brett

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 22 October 2010, 23:28 »
Don't take this the wrong way.

It sounds like you don't know what you want!

What do you actually want from you system?

Is this a quick throw it in the boot jobby or are you looking at building an install over time?

I wouldn't go with pioneer in all fairness. Have a look into spl dynamics not splx, AA, FI, Orion.

Two twelves ported would want at least 4cu ft after displacements. If your thinking of running 2k rms you'll want more batteries. Lots of 0awg and a fully sound deadened car ideally.

Plan your install out before you buy any kit otherwise it'll cost you double and take twice as long. Trust me I've got first hand experience with that.

well tbh i want something to be as loud as i can with the one battery in the bonnet lol, Bit of a show off if i am honest lol, i would like to get 2 powerful subs and a decent amp with a gain control lol. i am fine with rigging it in its just i need to find out what subs and amplifier i need that will run it safely lol!

Offline B-chi

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 23 October 2010, 08:05 »
Haha cool.

What car you got mate?

Normally two twelves or one fifteen is about ya limit for a boot. But obviously dome boots are bigger.

I'm stabbing in the dark here as we don't know what car but same principles apply.

Most car batts are around 50-70ah. If you only want one battery you'll need to upgrade it to a decent 100ah ish (only reason I say that size is that'll probably be the biggest you can fit in the engine bay).

Alternator wise. If you want any decent power this'll need to be upgraded. 150-210a would be good.

When you figure out what alternator and battery your going to be running you can decide on power. For instance (and this is totally "just my opinion")

95ah batt, 180a alt. 2.5-3k very max. This will allow you to "showoff" for short periods of time. This will also be very loud with two twelves or one fifteen.

65ah batt, 90a alt. 1-1.5k I'd say. This will still be quite loud but tbh lots of people run this power do won't be as impressive for "showing off".

Where are you based? Your more than welcome to come have a listen/play of mine mate. Different people have different ideas of loud. Mines nit loud enough for me, but only a hand full of people will sit in it when I turn it up.

It'll also give you a better idea of how power supple affects your install as I haven't got my alts in and have taken the 3 extra batteries out.

Offline Original_Brett

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 23 October 2010, 11:14 »
Haha cool.

What car you got mate?

Normally two twelves or one fifteen is about ya limit for a boot. But obviously dome boots are bigger.

I'm stabbing in the dark here as we don't know what car but same principles apply.

Most car batts are around 50-70ah. If you only want one battery you'll need to upgrade it to a decent 100ah ish (only reason I say that size is that'll probably be the biggest you can fit in the engine bay).

Alternator wise. If you want any decent power this'll need to be upgraded. 150-210a would be good.

When you figure out what alternator and battery your going to be running you can decide on power. For instance (and this is totally "just my opinion")

95ah batt, 180a alt. 2.5-3k very max. This will allow you to "showoff" for short periods of time. This will also be very loud with two twelves or one fifteen.

65ah batt, 90a alt. 1-1.5k I'd say. This will still be quite loud but tbh lots of people run this power do won't be as impressive for "showing off".

Where are you based? Your more than welcome to come have a listen/play of mine mate. Different people have different ideas of loud. Mines nit loud enough for me, but only a hand full of people will sit in it when I turn it up.

It'll also give you a better idea of how power supple affects your install as I haven't got my alts in and have taken the 3 extra batteries out.

LOL that is  more then enough info i need bro, thankyou so much for the help :) and im based in portsmouth :p it would be good to come see yours sometime :)

Offline B-chi

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 23 October 2010, 13:20 »
Well I'm based in Oxford so a bit far for a meet lol. You are always mote than welcome to come have a listen if your ever near Oxford.

Its currently 146.5db but when finished the plan is 150db. Have a look at my build log "project 150db" in car audio.

Need anymore help let us know.

Karl