Author Topic: ESP: Fault?  (Read 9794 times)

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
ESP: Fault?
« on: 12 December 2011, 22:34 »
Weird, started the car at work today and had a bing, ESP: Fault written on the DIS.  Lasted about 5 secs then dissappeared (No yellow light).  Scanned with VCDS when I got home, not a single fault code. :undecided: VCDS is going to work with me tomorrow just in case. Must be a self healing GTD.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: ESP: Fault?
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2011, 22:47 »
I get it once a month or so.

In fact mines pings every now and then with nothing on the MFD.

I just put it down to the same glitch that doesn't open the wing mirrors straight away at first.
Its as if the car hasn't went through its self tests properly before I've started.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2011, 22:51 »
I have had random pinging too. But never with anything on the screen until now.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2011, 00:06 »
I've had my Audi A3 (2.0 TDI) for 2.5 years now and it's always done this. I sometimes get random pinging when starting the car and occasionally catch a glimpse of "ESP Fault". I believe it's if you start the car too soon after turning on the electronics, or so I've been told, anyway if you just give it an extra second or two then it shouldn't happen again - seems a really common thing with the 2.0 TDI engines

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2011, 00:39 »
I occasionally get a random ping when I start up so you look at the clocks for a light or temp if its dropped to 4C or below but nothing shows. I did a VCDS scan over the weekend with the new Release 11.11.1 but nothing shows up.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline countrytrucker

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2011, 11:23 »

I have this fault too. My local dealer say it id down to a battery drain problem. They reckon there is something draining the battery overnight and the fault shows the following morning when the car is started for the first time. It doesn't happen later in the day after the car has been driven.

I have the xenons on all the time as the DRL (but no LED rears). They think it could be my Fiscon phonekit.

Their solution was to give them the car for 3-4 days and they would charge the battery then let it drain and monitor what happens. Great solution!
I love my GTD

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 13 December 2011, 15:22 »

I have this fault too. My local dealer say it id down to a battery drain problem. They reckon there is something draining the battery overnight and the fault shows the following morning when the car is started for the first time. It doesn't happen later in the day after the car has been driven.

I can't see how its battery drain else you would have trouble cranking over in the morning. Mine will beep morning, afternoon or evening it makes no difference.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline dieseldunc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 13 December 2011, 19:45 »

I have the xenons on all the time as the DRL (but no LED rears). They think it could be my Fiscon phonekit.

Their solution was to give them the car for 3-4 days and they would charge the battery then let it drain and monitor what happens. Great solution!

I have the ESP Fault message occasionally. I seem to remember reading an explanation somwhere (possibly another forum - sorry) that it's to do with the cycle time upon turning the cicuits on with the key, and if you;re too quick at completing the ignition start the software sees a race condition and throws the warning up. Seems plausible, as if I consciously wait a second or too (as I should do really for the glow plug lamp to go out) it doesn;t throw the error message. I mentioned it once to teh dealer and they siad 'tis normal' ignore it. Only an issue if it stays on.'

However; re battery drain. Be warned. I had a drain issue on mine (but it didn't relate to this ESP Fault) and the dealer took a long time to track it down. To be fair they treated me well and stuck me in another Golf but it took two weeks to resolve it and much removing of modules, updating software etc, removing door locks etc until they did. In the end they found a dodgy glove box light switch; which (allegedly) also meant that something else on the circuit was draining current as well as the glove box light. I;m not completely convinced that was the cause, but it appears fully resolved. They did change some software on the BCM too (Steve P reckons; as it's a high version number and the car is a fairly early one) as the car came back with aditional adjustment features in the DIS - which was nice!
Just FYI - don't let them blame the Fiscon too readily / quickly.

sssh; it's 'only a diesel'; but i love it!

MK6 GT140 TDi; DBP; Vancouvers; RNS510-D; Convenience pack; Storage pack; Philips Extreme Vision dipped bulbs; blue vision sidelights; red footwell lights; Yeti tips; GTD pedals; GTD gear lever; 'R' mats; RVC; Premium Bluetooth and some TLC.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 December 2011, 19:51 »
Nice to see not the only one getting these issues.  At least its not serious.  Keep on trucking will roll over 29k this week.