Author Topic: Track tyres  (Read 16799 times)

Offline Harvs

• Just got here
Track tyres
« on: 12 August 2012, 09:47 »
So, I've posted a couple of bits about brakes, so now it's tyre time.

Toyo 888 seem to be choice of many, and someone has also mentioned Yoko advan Ao48

Anyone used Kumho V70'sor got any other suggestions.

Mk4 1.8t - fully stripped - trailer to and from - 240 Bhp - upgraded discs and pads etc
MKIV Golf GTI 1.8T - Track Car - Nurburgring addict

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Track tyres
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2012, 11:20 »
I think Nige will be on recommending both the Kuhmo V70s and also Michelin Cups.

I've done a lot of miles on Toyo R888s and had a ball on dry and moist tracks.

Make sure your geometry and bushes are in A1 condition before going down the track tyre route.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Prawny

• Here all the time
  • R-tech power!!!
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2012, 21:21 »
yoko A048's here.

They seem to last longer than 888's before overheating, and there is an abundance of them second hand too. I recently picked up 6 part worn tyres for £96, and the set of 4 have lasted me 3 trackdays! fantastic value in second hand track tyres if you hunt them out.

888's are a brilliant tyre, but mention 'trackday tyre' in any pub in the land, and the man in the pub will name the 888, this gives it similar attributes to BMW M-parts, you pay a tax that isn't really justified.

I've run Federal RS-R's, 888's, A048's, and various road tyres, and I'm really liking the A048's at the moment, on my second set, with another part worn set ready for action as well.

If it's traillered, you don't need road legal, so it'd seem silly to pay £800 for a set of new road legal tyres.

Offline Harvs

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2012, 10:45 »
Cheers guys.  much appreciated.

Prawny - other than ebay, is there anywhere i should start looking for part worn's?  i quite like the sound of the AO48's.  what are they like in damp/wet?  i appreciate they will not be as good as a full wet!

Your point is really valid about not needing new tyres as on tralier.  great advice.  got to get my head round these things!  Cheers buddy.  :smiley:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2012, 11:51 »
If you're trailering then you have scope to take a spare set of wheel with wets on. I'm thinking of getting some slicks for mine for those lovely dry days.

Nick

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2012, 21:40 »
I think Nige will be on recommending both the Kuhmo V70s and also Michelin Cups.

I wrote this a couple of years ago.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-Reader-Track-Day-Tyre-Comparison.htm
Since then, I`ve started using Pilot Sport Cups, however, for a beginner to trackdays, I wouldn`t recommend them.

They are brilliant tyres, I REALLY like them and would choose them over others, BUT, in my experience, they don`t give the same warning before letting go as the others.

For a first `R` rated tyre, I think ANY will be a revelation compared to a normal road tyre, but once you`ve done a few trackdays on them, you`ll start to notice the differences as you try alternate makes, but initially, I don`t think you can go wrong with any of them.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2012, 21:49 by Nige »

Offline Harvs

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2012, 14:11 »
Thanks Nige.  info appreciated,  Great report BTW.

Kumho or AO48's seems consistently to be backed over the 888 as the 888 is more expensive.

will do some price checking on the web as well.

anywhere i shoujld be looking for part-worn?

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2012, 19:44 »
Either forums or Ebay. Its where I sell my part worns and look for others.  :wink:

Offline andybod

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2012, 19:56 »
i'm currently running federal rsr's on my mk 4 and quite happy with them,i paid  £386 for 4 225 45 17's from www.bmtr.co.uk so far done a couple of trackdays and a run to the ring andthey seem to be wearing very well ,next i'll be looking for something more slick biased to try and keep the federals for wet's until they wear out

Offline powerhand

• Not said much yet
  • Mk2 Golf Track Car
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2012, 08:58 »
If you're trailering then you have scope to take a spare set of wheel with wets on. I'm thinking of getting some slicks for mine for those lovely dry days.

Nick
I'm also thinking about getting some slicks for my car. At the moment, I have a set of wheels with some part-worn 888 for dry use and I have been using T1-Rs for in the wet. When the 888 eventually die, I can't face the prospect of paying through the nose for replacements, so I've been looking at part-worn slicks. Anyone got any experience of using slicks? Any thing to consider over "normal" track tyres?